[SOLVED] Keyboard/Mouse recommendation

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
I'm planning to upgrade my keyboard and mouse in the next few months, and I wanted some recommendations. Usage is mainly gaming (non-mmo, mainly shooters and RPGs).

For the keyboard, I'm not too particular about it being mechanical, although that would be a plus. Main thing I need is backlighting, and having a wrist-rest would also be nice. The Logitech G213 is a decent example of what I'm looking for, although any better alternative would be appreciated.
For the mouse, I'm not particular about lighting or weight, but something on the larger side would be good. Only real requirement is that it needs at least two thumb buttons. I was considering the Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury, which has most of what I'm looking for.

For both keyboard and mouse, I prefer wired, since I find wireless to be more trouble than it's worth. It would also help if they were from decent brands (Logitech, Corsair, etc), and aren't too expensive. My budget is around 5-7k INR for both put together, although that's flexible to an extent as long as the part is really good.
I guess most of these requirements are pretty generic, so it's mostly a matter of finding the cheapest and most reliable options that match them. Thanks a bunch :)

Solution
If you are looking at the G213 that means your budget is pretty decent for a keyboard, almost anything can be found in that 80-100 USD range. Really depends on what you like, people can't really pick a keyboard for you and you will have 20 different suggestions you can try. I like the Logitech Romer G keys, but also like a bunch of other switches. You won't know till you can try the different models, so what you get now is not really a big deal. If you want to try the Logitech, it's a fine setup to try.

Among the good keyboard models there is not really a "better" keyboard, there is only what you like for the feel and features. Some people like how a $20 membrane key keyboard feels or a laptop keyboard vs a $200 custom...
If you are looking at the G213 that means your budget is pretty decent for a keyboard, almost anything can be found in that 80-100 USD range. Really depends on what you like, people can't really pick a keyboard for you and you will have 20 different suggestions you can try. I like the Logitech Romer G keys, but also like a bunch of other switches. You won't know till you can try the different models, so what you get now is not really a big deal. If you want to try the Logitech, it's a fine setup to try.

Among the good keyboard models there is not really a "better" keyboard, there is only what you like for the feel and features. Some people like how a $20 membrane key keyboard feels or a laptop keyboard vs a $200 custom mechanical setup, it's all up to you.

Logitech 502 Hero SE is a nice mouse, don't really know how it compares to the 402 but it's the same price. I also own an MSI DS200 and like that model, but I think it's no longer made, picked it up because it had 3 side buttons and was on the cheap side, but turns out it is very comfortable and I like the feel of the plastic and the button action. I'm using it for Diablo where it's just a bunch of clicking to save wear on my MMO mouse.

Reactions: Flay_Gunnar
Solution

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
Honestly, I've never actually tried a mechanical keyboard before, so I think it's best if I try them out at a store before getting it. Then again, they're also pretty expensive, so the G213 can be a good backup option.
The G502 Hero looks pretty good (although the SE seems to be 4x the cost, so I'll stick with the regular one haha). I checked out the MSI model you mentioned, and I'm leaning towards the G502 right now.
Thanks for the recommendations!

gondo

Distinguished
A mechanical keyboard can be very clicky/loud and you might hate it, or people around you might hate it. Mechanical keyboards have a tactile feel were you can feel a bump before it is pressed. I am a very heavy typer without a gentle touch so that tactile thing with mechanical is out the window for me. I prefer the quiet touch of membrane keyboards. You can also get o-ring kits to quiet a mechanical keyboard. They also have high quality membrane keyboards with a life expectancy closer to that of mechanical. You have to try it out to see if you like it. And there are different types of mechanical switches and they all react and sound differently.

As for brands I've tried them all and one of my preferences is Steel Series. I've found their reliability and software better than anyone else.

The steelseries Apex 3 keyboard is backlit, has long life quiet membrane, is water resistant, comes with a magnetic wrist rest, and is under $80. Their mice are just as nice.

Honestly, I've never actually tried a mechanical keyboard before, so I think it's best if I try them out at a store before getting it. Then again, they're also pretty expensive, so the G213 can be a good backup option.
The G502 Hero looks pretty good (although the SE seems to be 4x the cost, so I'll stick with the regular one haha). I checked out the MSI model you mentioned, and I'm leaning towards the G502 right now.
Thanks for the recommendations!

The Hero SE went up in price, I think when I bought mine it was like $40, maybe less. They must be sold out at main retailers and resellers are upping the prices. Not very good for those looking to get a quality mouse for a good price because that was probably the best one when it was cheaper.