Keyboard/Mouse Stops working at login screen but during boot up and BIOS it work

blackiet

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013
My keyboard and mouse were working just fine yesterday, then today they are not working when I get to the start-up page. I am using Windows XP Professional. When I plug other USB devices, they can draw power from the PC with no problem.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Do they work in safe mode (F8), or other user?
Try a system restore. (start >run>msconfig>launch system restore. Choose a date before the problem happened.
Check if event viewer caught anything.

If not,and...
If this is a laptop, try removing the battery and run only on cable.
Also U can try, remove cable and battery, hold down power button for 30 seconds or more, then put back and see if keyboard/mouse are working.

U might still need to check Bios settings related to Keyboard, mouse (usb stuff)

:hello:

Boneyfreak

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Old post but I notice a lot of people seem to have this issue which is often virus related. Stright up XP repair can incur problems especially if the OS has been updated to SP3+

After checking all other common possibilities such as correct BIOS USB settings and USB connector integrity....and your keyboard works in BIOS or sys selection......

Warning Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

Copying the system hive from a Restore point akso avoids the problem. You can use this procedure to do so:

Once booted to the Recovery Console, you should be at a C:\Windows> prompt. If your drive letter is not C, use the correct one for your system in the rest of this procedure.
Type the following and press Enter after each line.
There are spaces between the different colors.
CD System32\Config
Ren system system.bak
CD \
CD system~1\_resto~1
If it gives an "Access Denied" error, type Exit and let the system reboot.
Re-enter the Recovery Console and start from step 3
Dir
This will list all the Restore Point folders. They are named rpX, where X is a number.
The highest number will be the latest restore point.
Pick the second to the last RP number, e.g, if the last number is 22, use 21 for X
Note the Date of the folder as well.
CD rpX
CD snapshot
Copy _registry_machine_system C:\Windows\system32\config\system
Exit
See if you can now log into Windows.
Once back into Windows, do a System Restore to the same date as the date of the RP folder you used.
If that doesn't work, try an earlier Restore Point folder. If none of them work, then try the Repair folder, or do a Repair installation of Windows.

Vesela Simeonova

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
I want to thank you sir for that suggestion.
My issue was not during boot from a shutdown state, but during wake-up from sleep, and I am on a laptop with Win8 pro (did not update to Win 8.1). I had worked until past 3 am yesterday and I just put it on sleep (so the issue did not arise from updates), I have no memory of saving my files or whatever, so for me to reboot would be a disaster. I put it back to sleep and wake back up a number of times but didn't work. I read this thread from my phone and removed the battery while again on sleep and it worked!!!
Thank you so much for saving me. You are the only one who mentioned laptops.
Ves

Landon Warner

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
If anyone else is having trouble if you have an MSI board download MSI's CLICK BIOS II and you can use the bios while windows is running. This is not the real solution. In CLICK BIOS II check in settings then Windows 8 configuration. Make sure that MSI fast boot is disabled. regular fast boot is fine as long as the USB Support is set to [Full Initial] and or the PS2 Devices Support is set to [Enabled] . I hope this helped!

matryc

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015

Sorry, I know that this thread is an old one, but yesterday I've run on the same problem on Dell Optiplex GX620.
There's no PS/2 ports, only USB, and there was no mouse nor keyboard working, winxp stuck on Device Driver Wizard looking for USB Composite Driver. (weird situation since driver is present in system32 and inf folder) and I couldn't find any solution that solved my problem, so maybe someone will use this solution later.

The story was the same, USB Keyboard works in BIOS, and early starting stage of windows, but not after login screen.
The solution is quite simple. When You see USB Composite Wizard asking to search for USB driver, all You need is hit NEXT, but there's no possibility since there is no keyboard or mouse or even rdp possibility. All You have to do is to insert Windows XP (corresponding to your sp version) install disk to your CD drive. Windows will automatically search for drivers and install USB Composite. But from now on you are stuck at another window with finish button and no keyboard and mouse sill aint working, because it installs first USB Composite,and than USB HID. You have to restart your system and after hitting F8, choose safe mode with command prompt. This finished the installation of a USB Composite, and adds the rest of drivers from the install CD. Another point is that I had to do it twice, 2 normal windows boots, and 3rd into safe mode with command prompt, and i could use keyboard to choose admin or user account in safe mode.
Oh, and at first use only keyboard...

Karthik_4

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I Tried with all the steps mention in the comments

Finally, I Tried to Restore default Option from BIOS setting and save exit

It works......

Please try this too.

Sian_1

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
I had this problem, my USB keyboard and mouse stopped working, luckily i have a graphics tablet which allows me to still control the mouse through a touch pad and pen. An easy fix to my solution was this:

start>control panel> Device manager> Universal serial bus controllers> right click 'generic USB Hub'> disable it and then re-enable it.

seemed to fix both keyboard and mouse!

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
I don't know if you've fixed this issue yet, but if you haven't, try using a PS2 keyboard or mouse. If you don't have a PS2 keyboard or mouse, just use a USB to PS2 adapter and plug your keyboard into a PS2 port onto your system. You can also try clearing the CMOS by turning off and unplugging your computer fully, opening up the computer and remove a battery on the motherboard that looks very similar to a calculator battery. *Note that some motherboards don't have a removable battery, so if the battery doesn't come out at all, don't force it, just look for a BIOS jumper on the motherboard*
Try doing a system restore to restore your computer into a point in time where your keyboard and mouse worked. If nothing else works that you find, then you should reinstall windows, that's what worked for me. If your files are important to you, go to someone that can back it all up for you and have them reinstall windows for you.