Keyboard only types letter i and spacebar

troy1960

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
Keyboard only lets me use tab, I, spacebar and dash... I can't login and I've already tried hooking up an external keyboard. Running windows 10 creators update.

Solution
Does keyboard work in bios? See if you can change boot device to USB and get into safe mode or even see if advanced startup recognises keyboard and/or works normal

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
PC will restart and load safe mode

if you can get this far, and keyboard worked enough to let you login, its clearly a driver issue or one of your start up programs causing it...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does keyboard work in bios? See if you can change boot device to USB and get into safe mode or even see if advanced startup recognises keyboard and/or works normal

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.

if you can get this far, and keyboard worked enough to let you login, its clearly a driver issue or one of your start up programs causing it.
try word pad and confirm keys work.

try resetting keyboard settings - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-keyboard-settings-default-windows (while in safe mode)

Solution
Aug 10, 2019

boot from installer
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button

if you can get this far, and keyboard worked enough to let you login, its clearly a driver issue or one of your start up programs causing it.
try word pad and confirm keys work.

try resetting keyboard settings - http://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-keyboard-settings-default-windows (while in safe mode)
I cant even type in the password to get into all that though

Sep 3, 2024
I had this issue too and figured out why only those keys work. My Ctrl button was stuck, and when that happens on the password screen all you can type is spacebar, i, and dash. I unstuck the Ctrl button and keyboard worked fine again.

Latest posts