Question Keyboard randomly types many letters at a time ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2022
On my second pc this issue started. Where the keyboard would. At random intervals. Press many random keys (I used keyboardtester.com to verify this) This would do some things such as opening the browser or Internet Explorer or sometimes other programs randomly, and sometimes. Immeditly shut down the pc.
Here is everything Iv tried to fix it.
The ports don't seem to be the issue. I can use other devices in the same ports without any issue...it's only keyboards

Tried:
  • Uninstalling the keyboard drivers many times
  • Running keyboard troubleshooter
  • a new keyboard
  • Reinstalling windows 7
  • Upgrading to windows 10
  • Updating the bios, and restoring cmos to its default.

I'm starting to think the motherboard is at fault. But I'm not sure. Iv used the pc for hours without at keyboard hooked into it and it's fine, only when a keyboard is in

I was gonna give away the pc. But with this issue I don't think I can.

Oh and also something intreseting. I tried using key tweak to disable the ctrl and alt buttons. That did nothing. The buttons were disabled if I use them. But the keyboard could still open whatever it felt like. And close my pc whenever it wants.
In all the pc's Iv used throughout my life. Iv never seen such a weird issue

At the very least I wish to know what causes this issue...it can't be software at this point can it?
And a gpu can't do this, a cpu can't, ram can't. I can only guess the motherboard, but why and how...this is so confusing

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information (edition, version).

What port(s) are being used? USB: front, back, hub, etc..

Keyboard: make, model information for the original and new keyboard.

Noted that you reinstalled Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 10. Did you also install or reinstall any favorite applications, games, or tools/utilities?

Have you run any anti-virus or malware scans? Just as a matter of elimination.

Run Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one at a time.

Watch for some change that occurs just before or at the time the keyboard begins randomly typing. May take some time and patience to sit and watch. Open the windows beforehand and expand so you can fully see what is happening.

In Task Manager, check the Startup tab for any unrecognized apps that are being launched at startup.

Another tool is Process Explorer (Microsoft, free).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

You may discover some process that invokes the random keystrokes.

You mentioned "random" which indeed may be the case. However, apps can be triggered by any number of things.

(By the way, does the random typing ever just stop on its' own? Could be an app timing out after X amount of time....)

Look in Task Scheduler. Possibly there is some trigger in place that when certain conditions are met then triggers an app of some sort.

Objective being to discover what happens or changes when ghost typing starts to occur.

Apr 13, 2022
Thanks alot for the detailed reply.
port being used is the one directly to the motherboard. So back I think?
As for the specs
Cpu: i3 2120
Motherboard: gigabyte p61-ad3 rev 2
Ram: 2x4 gb
Gpu: put my gtx 750 ti there from my main rig.

Os currently is windows 10 pro, Iv updated it and installed all drivers, so can't be an issue from updates.

About the make and model of keyboards. I'm sorry but I have no idea, I'm fairly sure they are just regular Chinese keyboards

About everything else you said. Im away from the rn, but I will do what you said and test it.
However. The issue occurs even during the bios or windows setups. It can't be a program for sure. Can't be Maleware because...I don't think that can live through 2 system formats. And even during the bios.
It doesn't Matter what I install, because it happens during the very first moment of windows. And during setups and bios.
But I'll do what you asked.

The random typing never stops. Sometimes Iv been lucky and the mericufal sentient keyboard allowed me to use the pc for an hour and a bit. It never stopped doing the weird things. It just happend to never press whatever it presses to shut down the pc.
Sometimes. It shuts it quickly. Depending on its mood.
It does this even on fresh windows installs. It's not malware. It's simply the sentient keyboard making decisions.

Have an amazing day sir, and thanks in trying to help!
(BTW just to add, it presses many keys at a time, so like 5 or more, which is why it can do all these weird shortcuts. Damn be shortcuts)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Okay.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect in and around all ports. Especially around the keyboard's connection.

Look for metal touching metal - especially around the I/O panel. Inside and outside of the case.

Bare conductor showing, cracked connector, anything appearing to be damaged. Including the motherboard.

Based on your descriptions my thought is that there is a short somewhere and the current is going through/into the keyboard in some manner.

Especially if two keyboards have done the same. Plus the fact that the problem is immediate even after all you have done.

Apr 13, 2022
Okay.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect in and around all ports. Especially around the keyboard's connection.

Look for metal touching metal - especially around the I/O panel. Inside and outside of the case.

Bare conductor showing, cracked connector, anything appearing to be damaged. Including the motherboard.

Based on your descriptions my thought is that there is a short somewhere and the current is going through/into the keyboard in some manner.

Especially if two keyboards have done the same. Plus the fact that the problem is immediate even after all you have done.

Thanks again for the help.
Even tho I had checked it before, I did as you told again, carefully inspecting it, the pc isn't dirty or anything, and the motherboard...just looks like any normal motherboard, I can't see anything that diffrent from other motherboards Iv seen, there is no metal touching metal, everything just looks fine...
So I'm guessing at this point, there is no saving, unless you have something else.
Either way, thanks a ton for the help and effort you put
Have a great day!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This thread has been duplicated.

Reference:

Closing this thread to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS