keyboard reverses @ and "

gasperato

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
On the puter with W8.1 recently installed, when I type the @ I get " and vice versa.
Needing another keyboard I have just set up a new one and am experiencing the same problem.
Both keyboards are fine on computers with W.XP
Having waited 12months since W8 came out I expected such issues to be sorted by now but that's life I guess.
I'd rather have the "proper" fix than use another program to change key assignments.

UPDATE: I see someone else had the exact same @ and " reversal issue in 2004 with XP. Spooky... are those two keys possessed? The suggestions were to select the correct language setting. I had already tried that to no avail.

This normally happens if the Language is set to UK or US incorrectly. If it's a UK board the @ will be next to the Enter button and the speech mark above 2. If Language is set to US they are reversed. Simply choose which one suits you....

gasperato

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Thanks dodger46. Thanks to you I have fixed the issue. Although I stated that I had tried your solution, prompted by your reply I delved deeper into the "Language" settings and did things correctly. In the process I tidied up some other features to improve future experiences.

It is a shame that when you pick a language then click "Preview" to show the appropriate keyboard (e.g. U.S. or U.K.) the @ and " characters are not shown so you don't know if you are on the right track.