Question Keyboard stutter or repeating

Jul 17, 2023
I came here looking to see if anyone else has run into this problem. Many are similar, but are not the same.

Situation: Attempting to install a Linux system on a tower. When the system boots the DVD, it asked for me to select what I wish to do. Most of the time, clicking the down arrow has it jump to the bottom of the list (short list of 5 things or so). Can't select with mouse click so can't bypass this problem.

This keyboard is external, using a KVM switch and it is a Logitech with a mouse using a USB "dongle". This problem ONLY happens with this particular tower. It does not happen to my Windows 11 laptop. It does not happen when I switch to the File Server (running a linux variant). It only happens with what was our primary firewall server. It appears that the video card I was using died. So I swapped it out and booted Knoppix 8.2 to check the system out and things seemed good.

So I swap DVDs to allow me to load Suse LEAP 15.3 and this is when weirdness started. And now I can't really use this keyboard with this tower.

Now for the real fun. I took the KVM switch out of the system with the wireless USB dongle and then attached a USB wired keyboard and mouse and connected them to this tower and get the same results.

Anyone have any idea if this is a MOBO problem, or what? This is an ASUS MOBO with a RYZEN CPU.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

This problem ONLY happens with this particular tower. It does not happen to my Windows 11 laptop
Then the issue might very well be with the OS on your particular tower. In fact I'd recreate the installer for your OS and then see if the issue crops up again.

Jul 17, 2023
In fact I'd recreate the installer for your OS and then see if the issue crops up again.
The system in question is doing this from the BIOS where it sees that there is a bootable USB device. So it reads the the CD/DVD. I have a Suse Linux Live DVDs (different levels of the LEAP series) and three different Knoppix levels. All of them are doing this. Yet I take them to another machine and they all run correctly, allowing me to select "LIVE" or "INSTALL", etc.

So I'm leaning heavily towards this is a MOBO gone bad.