[SOLVED] Keyboard switch replacement service?

CubsWin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
I did a thorough cleaning of my Razer BlackWidow keyboard today and, after doing so, I noticed that the Enter key doesn't feel quite right. I don't know if I did something to it while I was cleaning the keyboard, or if the switch is just worn out due to age (which is entirely possible considering the keyboard is almost 7 years old). Other than the Enter key though, I really like this keyboard and this particular model is no longer available, so I would like to repair it.

Is there anyone who offers a reliable repair service who would be able to replace a switch for me?

Thanks!

Solution
I did a thorough cleaning of my Razer BlackWidow keyboard today and, after doing so, I noticed that the Enter key doesn't feel quite right. I don't know if I did something to it while I was cleaning the keyboard, or if the switch is just worn out due to age (which is entirely possible considering the keyboard is almost 7 years old). Other than the Enter key though, I really like this keyboard and this particular model is no longer available, so I would like to repair it.

Is there anyone who offers a reliable repair service who would be able to replace a switch for me?

Thanks!

It's not too hard to check the stabilizer bars and keycap seating, did you do that already? Did you check if the switch itself is fine? If it...

Ralston18

Titan
It may be possible and/or likely that someone will provide such service. Cost may be more than a new keyboard.

Yes - Enter key gets fixed. Then "E" fails, Fix. then "Space bar" fails. Fix.

Overall, if you have successfully used the Black Widow keyboard for 7 years my thought is that you got your "proverbial monies worth" and should simply get a new keyboard.

Repairs are "iffy".

Try as many similar keyboards as you can. Stores, family, friends, work...

Hopefully you will find a suitable replacement with a warranty.

CubsWin

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2012
Overall, if you have successfully used the Black Widow keyboard for 7 years my thought is that you got your "proverbial monies worth" and should simply get a new keyboard.
I understand that thinking, but unfortunately Razer has done away with macro keys on their newer keyboards and there is nothing (short of buying another one on eBay) that replicates the key layout of the one I have. So I would prefer to do what I can to get mine fixed.

Ralston18

Titan
Fair enough.

As before, keep looking in thrift stores, yard sales, etc.. Ask around - family, friends, co-workers.

And e-bay as well.

You may come across another Razer keyboard that you can strip for parts.

Swap out the Enter key. Likely you can do that yourself.

Thanks!

It's not too hard to check the stabilizer bars and keycap seating, did you do that already? Did you check if the switch itself is fine? If it responds like all the others, then you would need to see how to get to the stabilizer bars to make sure they are seated properly and maybe apply a bit of grease/lubricant to them. https://switchandclick.com/what-lube-to-use-for-mechanical-keyboard-switches/ I use the Permatex stuff, it's cheaper and good enough.

Solution