DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Ok, here comes probably the worst question I ever asked :)

I have an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe MB, but my question is in general about the so called keyboard wake-up feature. As I understand it, setting the jumpers to that option wakes up your computer when idle for some time, but it does not power it up when it is shut down. (Am I right in that assumtion, just checking in a slim, slim hope that there is a way to turn on my computer by merely pressing the keyboard :) )

Also in the manual it says that for that function to work you PSU has to have at least 1A on the +5VSB lead. Now I don't even know what 5VSB lead is (I know 5V though) but 1A doesn't seems a whole lot, so am I right in the assumtion that my RAIDMAX PSU 420W that came enclose with the case should be able to handle that?

PSU Spec.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-135&catalog=7&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

Thanks,
Amar

Ps. Also I assume that in order for that feature to work I don't need to connect an extra PSU cable to the motherboard?

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
as long as your bios supports it, your golden. ive found it doesnt work as advertised, my comp would come on at random even though no keys were pressed, no mouse clicks, no mouse movement. to verify that it wasnt the mouse detecting movement when there was none i would move it around once in a while and it wouldnt turn on. it was wierd so i just disabled it.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
VSB is for <b>V</b>olts, <b>S</b>tand<b>b</b>y. It's for standby power. When you put you system to sleep it power is actually still supplied for the keyboard to be sensed, wake-on-lan signal, etc. Your memory also has power. This is for the Save To RAM (STR) option of Power Standby mode.

Most modern power supplies provide a minimum of 2.0 amp to the +5 VSB line. Just to be sure take a look at the ratings on the side of your power supply. The +5 VSB rating should be clearly stated.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks guys,

Ps. Guess being able to power up my comp. from the total shut down still can't be done, right ? :)

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Guess being able to power up my comp. from the total shut down still can't be done, right ?
Yes you can. Standby power is available the moment you plug in the power cord.

I just never used the feature much. The combination of having an old mobo, VIA KT133A chipset, Windows 98, and the sleep key being in an unfortunate place just didn't work for me. It just worked out better to completely disable power management.

It's been a long time but I think the problem I had is that sometimes when I enabled the power on keyboard feature my system would turn on all by itself. It only happen once in a while but I didn't like it.

I had some other annoyances. My system was quirky.

On my keyboard the Sleep and Power keys aren't protected. Occasionally I would accidentally hit the power key shuting down my system. Not good.

The combination of my old mobo, with VIA KT133A chipset, an old Geforce card (at the time) and Windows 98 meant sometimes Sleep didn't work right.

The system would go to sleep but it wouldn't wake.

Sometimes it would wake but the display would be garbled.

Sometimes it would sleep but the fans remained running.

In the end I determined that with my mobo, overclocking and power management functions just did not work well together.

I gave up.

I completely disabled power mananement in BIOS. On my previous mobo this meant using a mod'd BIOS. I deleted all ACPI references in Windows Device manager while in Safe Mode and never use power management in Windows.

Anyway, I doubt you will have those kinds of problems today.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

pat

Expert
If your BIOS has this option, then yes you can. I can shut down and start my computer with the keyboard. I never use the power button...too far from my chair!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!