Question Keypresses repeated/ignored on USB mechanical keyboard ?

Dec 25, 2022
This has been bugginng me for a while, and I can't seem to figure out what the issue is with this. Any time I type, I have the issue where some key strokes are ignored, or repeated several times. This sentence for example, I've had to either slam on the 'M' key, or pres it several times to get it to input. It's not just the 'M' key however, it's most of the keys on the keyboard. There isn't a pattern to it, and it's incredibly intermittent. Sometimes the keys function perfectly fine, with the normal pressure when typing, sometimes they require force, or sometimes they don't work at all. The keys affected, like I said, are mostly random, however they do bias towards 'N', 'M', 'A', 'S', 'D', and 'W'.

I've also had this happen in several different keyboards, some of which include: Corsair K70, Roccat Vulcan, Coolermaster Storm Trigger, and a thermaltake mmechanical keyboard, as well as some other random ones I've tested.

I've tested different CPU/GPU/RAM/Motherboard and Power Supplies, and they all share the same issue. I've plugged these keyboards into other computers, and not had the issue follow the keyboard. I've tried different operating systems, and the issue follows from Windows, to Linux, and back. I've tried powwred USB hubs, cause maybe I'm intermittently dropping my 5v rail, or maybe the 5v rail is noisey, I've changed USB polling rates from 150hz to 1000hz down to 125hz, but yeah I just can't figure it out.

Maybe it's the chassis? Like maybe the chassis ground is no good? I mean, that wouldn't make sense, right? Computer cases aren't groundded right? At least not in the sense it would do weird stuff to the 5v USB rails?

One thing that has gotten it to stop acting up, is open palm slapping the keyboard hard, but that's not really the greatest thing in the world, and I'm really not looking to damage the keyboard.

Additionally, when I've got the Roccat on, and have all the LEDs set to a single color (White), it will shimmer, like it's got something dragging across the pins on the PCB, and it's random which keys it lights up, but it almost looks like a lightning storm in the sky, where iit'll streak across the keyboard, and shimmer in different spots.

So, I'm curious what other people might think, cause at this point, all I can think is there's some kinnd of noisey signal getting onto either the USB data or 5v line, or maybe a bad ground somewhere, I had also thought about CPU halt cycles causing issues, or hell, maybe a poltergeist.

Also, I haven't had anything weird happen to other USB peripherals, my mouse is fine, my USB DAC is fine (I think, there are some times when it gets weird random audio signals, and you hear the relays in it click to start playing something, but there's no audio), other peripherals have never given me issues, really it's just keyboards.

Here is a video of the shimmering I mentioned. Currently I'm in Arch linux, and using Duncanthrax's software to address the RGB leds through the Terminal. The software does not support shimmering, or any lighting effects, other than changing the key color of the pressed key. In the config I'm running, the pressed key turns red, not purple, and the effect is a little bit more pronounced when typing rather than what's seen in the video.

View: https://i.imgur.com/myNLsfZ.mp4

And this, is the intended effect when pressing a key,

View: https://i.imgur.com/OYQhJRz.mp4

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022
do you use a surge protector? maybe its wiring in house, tried another wall socket?
I'm on a UPS, and a surge protector, but I have considered the house power. I'm not 100% sure if my UPS can do power conditioning. I know it does when it's running on the battery. I have tried other wall outlets however, and come to the same issue. Unfortunately I can't pick any other outlets, since they're on the opposite side of my room, and running an extension cord for the equipment I'm currently running is super sketchy.

Specifically I have the 1500va variant of an older model of this UPS

I picked it up for the price of new batteries

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
np, was just a thought. Could run PC outside case to just remove it from cause. It would be a strange cause... no lamps or anything on same circuit? I seen strange things cause problems with pc.

Someone else might have some ideas.

Dec 25, 2022
np, was just a thought. Could run PC outside case to just remove it from cause. It would be a strange cause... no lamps or anything on same circuit? I seen strange things cause problems with pc.

Someone else might have some ideas.

Not that I'm aware of, but I know what you mean. The wiring in my house is super freaking janky, and there's wall unit ACs on the same circuit as computers, and there's no way to avoid it. It's how the house is load balanced. But it's 10°F outside, so no compressors to screw up my sinewave. I have a 200w LED driver attached to the same powwer strip as the PC, and that's for my ceiling lights, but that's all solid state electronics, and very new, whereas my issue is a few years old.

I might ditch the case when I've got time to disassemble everything. It wouldn't be the first time this case caused me trouble. The last build I did with it, one of the motherboard standoffs broke a few days after the build, and sent a fragment dragging across the dimm pins on the back side of the motherboard, and nuked some brand new sticks of DDR4.