Keys being pressed randomly... Help!

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Hi all,

I am having a rather random and very annoying issue. After my system is running for a some time (appears to happen randomly), it acts as if some keys on the keyboard are being held down. Specifically the left and right keys, sometimes backspace, maybe more?

I can't figure out what could cause it. The system has been working without problems for a number of months now. This just happened recently. When I unplug the USB keyboard, the problem still persists. I have run MS Security essentials and AVG free with out any problems found.

I have found if I end the largest SVCHost.exe, the problem stops for a little bit. The problem does not appear in safe mode, from what I've found. A restart will fix the problem, until it happens again.

When I run a script recorder to see which keys are being pressed, it is rather rapid, looks like someone is mashing the numpad like hitting 116 116 116 116 116 over and over along with some other keys.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: After doing some problem solving, I have found when I stop the service "hidserv" (Human Interface Device Access) the problem stops. This runs within the svchost.exe I mentioned early. Why is it giving me trouble?

Solution
Try
http://www.prevx.com/ - Some false positives with some benchmarking software I was using.
After checking for rootkits,
Disconnect all devices from the computer except mouse, keyboard, network and monitor.
Does problem still happen?
If yes, disconnect network.
Still happen?

try a different keyboard. See if the problems still occur.

You might also try this

1. Disconnect USB keyboard
2. Uninstall keboard drivers from Device manager
3. Plug keyboard back in
4. Should autodetect and install or scan for new hardware.

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Thanks for the reply, Plumble.

I am using Windows 7 Professional x64.

I could only run the Sohpos rootkit and all it found were hidden files, most of which I recognized.

The MS rootkit would not run at all and the panda one is not compatible with my OS.

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Try
http://www.prevx.com/ - Some false positives with some benchmarking software I was using.
After checking for rootkits,
Disconnect all devices from the computer except mouse, keyboard, network and monitor.
Does problem still happen?
If yes, disconnect network.
Still happen?

try a different keyboard. See if the problems still occur.

You might also try this

1. Disconnect USB keyboard
2. Uninstall keboard drivers from Device manager
3. Plug keyboard back in
4. Should autodetect and install or scan for new hardware.

Solution

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
It must be a hardware problem. I got fed up so I did a complete reinstall of my OS and the problem came back... I have not even installed any keyboard drivers.

I am going through the steps you mentioned and I will report back.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also another symptom, I am hearing the sound that Windows makes when a device is unplugged and plugged back in at random.

thermalsig

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I had that exact same problem with my G15. It was the cable failing. I heard the windows chime because the key board kept disconnecting/reconnecting. Maybe try a different key board?

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I just tried disconnecting all other USB devices (except mouse) and tried a new keyboard (PS/2) and the problem also occurs.

This leads me to believe the problem could either be a failing motherboard or possibly the mouse?

thermalsig

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
That would be the culprit most likely. The "ghosting" could be caused by the mouse as well. I'm going to hazard a guess that you have a Logitech gaming mouse? I must now perform a face palm as I should of snapped that everything else was already unplugged.

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Correct guess, thermalsig. I am a Logitch fan. The mouse is a G5 laser. I've had it for years.

What do you mean by the ghosting? Could a mouse cause these kinds of symptoms?

Thanks for the help!

thermalsig

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
It's entirely possible. :whistle: I say it's possible because of a similar experience with a friend and his MX518. I had forgotten that episode because I was firmly convinced at the time it could never be the mouse and that was exactly what it was. Swap out the mouse and see if it solves the problem. Good luck.

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
The problem still persists with all different devices. This leads me to believe it is the motherboard failing, because what else could it be? I've swapped out all the USB devices.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've noticed if I stop the hidserv service, it fixes the problem momentarily, but then comes back in full force and I can't find a way to fix it without reboot.

I've also noticed my raid array is coming up with random errors and my -5 voltage is at -2.84v. Could these be connected?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Update: I completely pulled out the motherboard, disconnected everything from it, and for the hell of it, reapplied thermal paste on the south bridge chip set. I figured why not.

I did notice that one of the USB motherboard connectors (for some of the case USB functionality, normally connected to motherboard header) had a yellow wire that has gotten lose. When I put the system back together, I left this unplugged. Could this be the culprit? Possibly the connecting going in and out was messing with the south bridge?

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009

Update: I've been using the system for about 7 hours straight without the problem showing up. Usually the issue would occur in this time frame. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'll report back later with more results.

Thanks!

gtmethod3

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Update: I have yet to encounter this issue after unhooking that faulty USB connection.

That little wire must have been the culprit. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Another Update: This broken USB wire was used for the panel controls on my case (i.e. volume, menu controls, left right, etc) so that explains a lot. I feel dumb for not thinking of this earlier.

Note to others: Think of EVERY single device that contributes input when troubleshooting!

andreitelerez

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016

hey man i am just wondering if you still have this problem( i still have it after stopping that hidserv and even the svchost you mentionded) and if you did anything else to fix it