News Khadas Introduces VIM3 Raspberry Pi Competitor Line With Two Launch Configurations

farnell121

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
If you're the type to dabble with Raspberry Pi, but wish there were alternatives to muck about with, you may be in luck.

I don't know if you are just learning about Single Board Computers, but there has been multitudes of solid, durability tested products since the original Pi has been introduced. Most people don't care about how fast a SBC's GPU is because 9 times out of 10 there are ZERO hardware accelerated drivers, and you can tell that to my Odroid-XU4, Le Potato and Banana Pi based boards.

In the ARM SBC world, never boast about the GPU capabilities unless you know for a fact hardware accelerated drivers exist under Linux, otherwise the user is limited to just multimedia-oriented distros lacking a Linux desktop.

Reactions: bit_user

farnell121

Distinguished
May 17, 2014
Because its A73 core are faster and clocked higher than the Pi 4's A72 cores and its GPU is more powerful.

The real question is why you'd want this over an ODROID-N2. That, I don't (yet) know.

I see most of these kind of articles from Tom's Hardware in my news feed, and a lot of it makes me upset because I know for a fact the article writer hasn't tested the hardware, just quoting specs.

On paper and real-world are two very different things.

Please see my previous quote but I agree, the Odroid-N2 comes from a very established brand (HardKernel) with excellent community support, and at the price with specs, it is no contest to go Odroid-N2. If you are new or even intermediate to SBC's, most people will want to go with a product with a strong community so you don't end up with paperweights waiting two years down the road for a stable image.

I bought a Banana Pi M2-Zero and it was about a year and a half before I got a working image that didn't overheat, and there's still no hardware GPU acceleration.

Reactions: bit_user