News Khadas VIM4 Raspberry Pi Competitor Has 8 Cores, Wi-Fi 6

Apr 29, 2022
There are dozens of Raspberry Pi Alternatives and they all seem to have the same goal. Provide better performance than the Raspberry Pi. This just tells you that none of these boardmakers understand what Raspberry Pi foundation stands for.

Raspberry Pi are cheap
Have loads of documentation to learn.
Is supported by several Linux distros.
Free forums and Raspberry Pi Mag for information and projects.

The competitors like Khadas have none of these features. Looking at their website, they're very eager to sell their board and cost twice as much as Raspberry Pi. But when I try to search for learning resources or documentation, they fall short of provide anything useful. Khadas VIM4 is not supported by Ubuntu at the moment due to driver issues. I don't have these issues with Raspberry Pi.

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
There are dozens of Raspberry Pi Alternatives and they all seem to have the same goal. Provide better performance than the Raspberry Pi. This just tells you that none of these boardmakers understand what Raspberry Pi foundation stands for.

Raspberry Pi are cheap

The competitors like Khadas have none of these features. Looking at their website, they're very eager to sell their board and cost twice as much as Raspberry Pi. But when I try to search for learning resources or documentation, they fall short of provide anything useful. Khadas VIM4 is not supported by Ubuntu at the moment due to driver issues. I don't have these issues with Raspberry Pi.

SBC makers like Khadas, Radxa and Odroid are not into making Raspberry Pi Alternatives. Only the main stream press say they are. Big difference.

The markets are partially overlapping but are different. Looking into more details at the specifications show the differences. In the case of VIM4, true PCIe NVMe is a rather big difference. For instance if you want to do database at the edge. Same thing for SATAIII in for instance Odroid HC4 or M1. You can make nice NAS'es with them. Not so with USB drives. Etc.

SBC makers usually have a business market (e.g. signage, industrial, medical). They just happen to also sell to end users for additional revenues. But for most of them, their business customers are their main source of revenues. They don't care about Raspberry.

Apr 29, 2022
Competitor implies they're... competing... for the same customers.

These aren't competitors, how do tech publications not understand this.

The Tesla Model S 100D isn't a "faster Honda Accord competitor". And the price difference between those two is less than the price difference % between a Khadas and a Raspberry Pi.

"It has better performance for only quadruple the price" tells us exactly one useful thing; the author has low literacy in either tech, or mathematics.

Apr 29, 2022

Raspberry Pi are cheap

This, on all points. Something quadruple the price isn't a competitor, that's not even a remotely useful thing to report. "Space shuttle much faster than most airplanes" or "sports car much faster than minivan" aren't valid or useful topics for an article. Are the author, editor, and publication not aware of this?

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

Raspberry Pi are cheap

Even Tom's Hardware has a Raspberry Pi section. Haven't seen a "Pi Competitor" section.