Khronos: Vulkan's Multi-GPU Support Isn't Only For Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipman

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Thinking of moving to win 10 soon but this is nice so I can use on my win 7 atm. Need to run my own tests with Vulkan :)

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
As someone who loved Mantle profusely, I gotta say: It IS dead.

That said, Vulkan looks to be doing the same thing, except that NVidea users also get to enjoy it, so it's even better!

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
"Other graphics APIs"

Vulcan's main purpose was to provide a unified graphics and compute API to replace OpenGL. Taking on Mantle and DX12 came later.

(Note: Kronos Group is also currently administering the OpenGL API as well)

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
What's great about Vulkan is that it works on almost all OS's Mac, Linux, android windows, anything that is capable of OpenGL which is almost everything.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Downside is practically no one is programing for it, 6 games as to date since its release in 2015 that is horrible adoption rate. Opensource network is getting more support then mainstream like emulators. Sure more game engines support it but if it isn't implemented into the game that is built with those said engines it is utterly useless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Yeah, Vulkan is a really nice cross platform API, and seemingly a lot more optimised than OpenGL managed during its last 15 years. Lets hope they'll be able to keep their steam up until others than the usual developers (IDsoft) catches on. The article is extremely misleading, implying that several others apart from Star Citizen is in the works with releasing Vulkan titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.