Kickstarter Project Has Gamers Creating Thier Own MMORPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is a terrible, terrible idea. The MMO market is full of rubbish content already, and that from 'professional' paid designers. Why on earth would this product yield any better results? Rather produce user-level tools with intuitive interfaces that focus on letting users share stories with their friends than trying to produce entire mmo's worth of content. This has been tried before and it hasn't worked.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
No one has capalized on the popularity of this since Never Winter Nights. Creating persistent worlds drew in millions of players. My module alone served over 200,000 total players over its years. Diablo III would have been the perfect platform for a user based persistent world platform.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
I don't see why Tom's has reported this project if the likeliness of it succeeding is so low. As of typing this message, MyWorld has raised $160 of a $600000 goal. The fund raiser is already 9 days in and it has failed to raise even 0.1% of its target. This is hopeless.

Cyberqat

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
[citation][nom]rocket sword[/nom]Doesn't Minecraft already do this?[/citation]

From the FAQ at the Kickstarter site:

"set rules for construction of the world, combat and so on. In a general sense it falls into the same class of games as "world games" like SimCity but at a finer granularity. In Minecraft, construction is gameplay and you can fail.

MyWorld is a MMORPG game building system. World construction is done by Wizards who have total control over their world. They define the game that players of the world will play. You can't "die" building your world, or otherwise fail other then just not completing your projects or having bugs in your scripts."

There's more on this subject there. This is just the first two paragraphs.

Cyberqat

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
[citation][nom]TheZoolooMaster[/nom]I don't see why Tom's has reported this project if the likeliness of it succeeding is so low. As of typing this message, MyWorld has raised $160 of a $600000 goal. The fund raiser is already 9 days in and it has failed to raise even 0.1% of its target. This is hopeless.[/citation]

Nothing is hopeless till you decide it is. PR on this effort has really just begun.

The nice thing about a Kickstarter project is that backers aren't charged anything unless full funding is reached. So if you are so sure it won't happen, be a sport and pledge $100 or more!

Cyberqat

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
[citation][nom]RefZA[/nom]This is a terrible, terrible idea. The MMO market is full of rubbish content already, and that from 'professional' paid designers. Why on earth would this product yield any better results? Rather produce user-level tools with intuitive interfaces that focus on letting users share stories with their friends than trying to produce entire mmo's worth of content. This has been tried before and it hasn't worked.[/citation]
Iam confused, isn't this exactly what this project says it is doing?

Yes there is talk of sample scripts but I thought it made it clear that these are a leg-up and starting point for the users to build their own content.

Very few users have the skills to make their own geography or monster models so I think providing those makes sense, too. It does discuss a future path-way to import and trade user-designed artwork for those with those skills.

But most UGC efforts fail because they expect the users to generate all the content. Where thy have succeeded, be it Kickstarter or Neverwinter Knights, its been because they provided enough canned content to enable the masses to express themselves well with.

Status
Not open for further replies.