Kickstarter Project Turns iPhones Into Polaroid Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
So you take a picture with a camera, put the camera on top of another camera, take a picture of the camera
displaying the picture already taken on said camera and take the same picture again with the old camera and printed.

Got it.

What a stupid idea.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
"Kickstarter" is annoying me to hell now. Its cool because people can invent some neat shit and get funded without having to go through a big business, but at the same time people are abusing the shit out of it. A lot of these "projects" seem to disappear after they get their money and say "oh it didn't work out".

G

So I can understand how enthusiasts may like this but I don't see it being a big seller. Most phones are WiFi now and you can just send the picture to a printer via WiFi, instant picture as well. Who want's to lug around a polaroid hookup device. Either way, I wouldn't donate for this cause, it's not my niche. I wonder if Apple will patent this as "the new polaroid".

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
"After exposing the film to the light from the iPhone's display, users close the shutter, push a button and watch as their photo gets transformed from digital pixels to an iconic Polaroid picture"

Iconic 960x640 picture, yep.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Oh my god, I only just now checked their page--over $250,000 pledged so far?! WOW, I am greatly underestimating the...generosity (for lack of a better term)...of people.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Wouldn't it be much better to have a portable printer hanging off a shoulder strap, next to your hip, attached to your phone (ANY smart phone) with the appropriate USB Data Cable, that could then print whatever image you want, be it a photo you just took (or took before) or even an image you just downloaded? It would be a much more user friendly setup than this clumsy telescoping attachment! Not to mention quicker to print an image between shots, as you wouldn't need to keep detaching and attaching the Phone! And I am sure the image quality will be far better than taking a photo of a phone screen!

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
OK! I get it now. The Terminator creators got it wrong. It is neither Skynet, nor even Cyberdine Systems, it is iPhone and Apple, that will create the first Terminator, and it want be just an Terminator but iTerminator!

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]Oh my god, I only just now checked their page--over $250,000 pledged so far?! WOW, I am greatly underestimating the...generosity (for lack of a better term)...of people.[/citation]

How about "stupidity"?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]Oh my god, I only just now checked their page--over $250,000 pledged so far?! WOW, I am greatly underestimating the...generosity (for lack of a better term)...of people.[/citation]

"generosity"... LOL. I bet you spent some time looking for a 'beep free' term :)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
you know that it is not hard to build a single shot Polaroid camera right?

you can also mod an old Polaroid to do it and probably get better results with the camera having it's own shutter instead of relying on the back light leaking apple display.

also what is the point when you could just print a image for less money and apply a filter that gives the crappy look if needed.

while I am sure there are some people who will buy something like that, I don't believe any business could sell enough of them to actually stay in business. think of it more as funding the release of a few items at best before they close up shop and bank the rest of the kickstarter money.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
...and probably the next thing we'll see:

bc6307f0e5cdc777f20b5b016115756f.gif

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
its a good idea, for the people who likes instant photos.

Just becuase nerds don't like it, doesn't mean its a bad idea.

I have the advantage of using both sides of my brain, so I can be a nerd when I want, and an Artist too.

How do you think photos are made?
Light is exposed to film to make a negative. When its developed, light is shined threw the negative to film again to make a picture that is developed in chemicals. So, its too a picture of a picture.

So this is no different.

Also there is instant photo camera (digital) andd instant photo printers out. So the market does exist, but there is a lot of iPhone users, and I am sure a lot of artists have iPhones too (brainwashed), but still this is practical idea, just not as portable.

Instand printer usually cost $100. and film is expensive. And this project is just as portable as them, but more money ($300)

G

yesterday I read story about a cool new invention that could transfer digital pictures onto pieces of paper, I think it was called a "printer"... I just cant belive how many idiots there is in the world why buy that crap when u can get a color laser printer for less?

G

there is a good reason why polaroid went out of buisness, its because they didnt have a kickstarter project to easily steal free money from the endless supply of idiots.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]I have the advantage of using both sides of my brain, so I can be a nerd when I want, and an Artist too.[/citation]
Too bad that all that means is that you are using a whole pea.. still leaves you disadvantaged compared to people with common sense :) and half a normal brain!

roars1111

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
The Impossible Project, the company set up to maintain the manufacture of instant film stock for vintage Polaroid cameras, has devised a device to allow you to make authentic 'roid-style prints from your iPhone photos.

Called the Impossible Instant Lab, the printer - for want of a better word - is modelled like a retro camera, but rather than shoot through a lens, you attach your iPhone into an extendable dock. The iPhone goes in face down after you have launched a dedicated app and chosen your photo. The Polaroid-style device will do the rest, outputting a traditional "developed before your eyes" print.

At the moment, the Impossible Instant Lab is listed on Kickstarter. The Impossible Project is aiming to raise $250,000 to turn the prototype in a mass-produced consumer product, and has so far managed to cadge $197,888. As the crowd-funding spree doesn't end until 8 October, there's every chance the company will reach its goal.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Hmm...I could upload the picture to FaceCrack for all my friends to see, or I can print them off on this overly expensive piece of dated technology. Oh the choices.

G

I'm SO happy to see that I'm not the only one who thinks this project is a waste of time. The Impossible Project should have put that kickstarter money into film development technology rather than a ridiculous and overpriced printer that devalues Instant photography. Whoever goes out and purchases this is to lazy and ignorant to shoot original "one of a kind" photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.