[SOLVED] Killed 2 CPU's and a MOBO?

zayman

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
I am really lost here. I have a computer with a i5-8600K in it. I recently went to go upgrade it to a 9900K. The first MOBO was a ASRock H310M-HDV, with CPU and everything working fine. Turned off the computer, removed cooler, removed CPU, put in new CPU, went to boot, no dice. Tried clearing CMOS, no dice. Tried new PSU, and reseating everything, and also jumping power button manually, no dice. Decided new CPU was dead and put the old 8600 back in, just to find out that was no longer booting as well either. Tried all the steps above again and could not get the PC to boot. Nothing spins, nothing lights up, the only thing you hear is a click from the power supply. Decided that somehow maybe the MOBO died, so went ahead and ordered a new MOBO. New mobo arrived today(Gigabyte H310M-A), dropped the 9900 in, Same thing. no lights, no fans, just a click from the PSU. Put the 8600 in, same result. Change RAM, PSU, and reseat, same thing. I am lost.
Is it possible that the 9900 killed the mobo and the mobo killed the 8600? I just dont know what to do at this point. I have replaced so many parts and the fans wont even spin. I want to say both CPU's are dead but as of 2 days ago the CPU was working fine until it went to upgrade.

Solution
If its not the GPU, i would assume it was the Mobo or PSU that was causing the error, but i replaced both and still had the same issue. If we still think its not the GPU, should i tell him not to put the GPU in? I went ahead and built the computer back with the orginal components and 9900, and gave it back to him working using onboard graphics at the moment. He plans to put his 3060ti in on monday when it comes in. Should i tell him to stop and hold off?
I believe the gpu went up because the damage was already done before then. It just needed one more push.
The gray label CX750 doesn't have modular cables, so you couldn't have made the mistake of using cables from a different psu, which can be fatal.
About the only ways you...

zayman

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
Why a low end motherboard with crappy VRM for a high-end CPU? You're asking the motherboard to die with a 9900K.

What brand and model PSU?

The parts were not my choice. Friend asked me to come over and upgrade his CPU, saw the CPU was on the compat list so just went to switch it. Thing is all they know is that PC was functional before i started replacement, and now its not. The new mobo i purchased is just the cheapest one i could find, didnt expect for a friendly CPU replacement to leave me a couple hundred out of pocket on a new mobo. From what i gather, this MOBO is not worse/ better than the last. With that being said, new mobo still not working with the 8600 either so dont think the higher end cpu is the issue here. PSU is a Corsair CX750.

zayman

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
something is shorting out
are able to do a breadboard?
Just an update, still working on it but got it in a breadboard format, only one stick of ram , cpu, and used onboard hdmi and computer booted..... still need to do some trial and error to figure out what exactly is not working/ shorting it out, but both the new and old cpu are working on the new mobo. Testing the old one now.

weirdoweirdo

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2012
CPUs don't discharge electricity, NEVER. It's impossible. But a faulty Mobo can surely damage a CPU. If a Mobo's VRMs fries, it may lead to damage components. Is it possible that could be one stick of RAM? Sometimes leaving the Mobo isolated from current for a short period can help. I had a faulty PSU, and when I got the new replacement, I connected it to the Mobo, and it won't boot at all. So I put it away for a day and the next day it worked fine with the new PSU.

zayman

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
GPU was the culprit. Got everything working on the original board with the new CPU too, put the GPU in, when to boot, and watched the GPU spark, smoke, and a brief flashfire happened.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
which one is it ? is it the old model with the model name written in green ? either way this series isnt designed to power a high end system with an i9 and rtx 2060 , for the corsair RM series and its variants better suited to that system

zayman

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
which one is it ? is it the old model with the model name written in green ? either way this series isnt designed to power a high end system with an i9 and rtx 2060 , for the corsair RM series and its variants better suited to that system
Its the newer one, with the name written in white. The person who i am doing it for ordered a 3060ti is planning to just plop that in there after this one blew..... I am worried that if another component is causing the issue, that it may just blow the new graphics card he puts in there. The gpu was filled with cat fur and hair so i figured thats what led it to explode/ catch fire (dont ask me why not my PC)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I get the feeling the gpu wasn't the culprit, but another victim.

The gpu was filled with cat fur and hair so i figured thats what led it to explode/ catch fire (dont ask me why not my PC)
Yep, neglect will do that. That material isn't much different from dust.
A PC is another appliance that we're responsible for.

None of that wasn't your fault; it didn't read out like you did anything wrong.
The cards happen to align and made it look that way.

zayman

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
I get the feeling the gpu wasn't the culprit, but another victim.

Yep, neglect will do that. That material isn't much different from dust.
A PC is another appliance that we're responsible for.

None of that wasn't your fault; it didn't read out like you did anything wrong.
The cards happen to align and made it look that way.
If its not the GPU, i would assume it was the Mobo or PSU that was causing the error, but i replaced both and still had the same issue. If we still think its not the GPU, should i tell him not to put the GPU in? I went ahead and built the computer back with the orginal components and 9900, and gave it back to him working using onboard graphics at the moment. He plans to put his 3060ti in on monday when it comes in. Should i tell him to stop and hold off?

larkspur

Distinguished
If it was my system I would replace the PSU immediately. Yes it sounds like the GPU was the culprit, but do you think it is worth the chance that the old PSU will destroy the new GPU and/or everything else connected to it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I believe the gpu went up because the damage was already done before then. It just needed one more push.
The gray label CX750 doesn't have modular cables, so you couldn't have made the mistake of using cables from a different psu, which can be fatal.
About the only ways you could've screwed this up is by:
-the gpu not being fully inserted in the slot when it was powered on. Ditto for the auxillary cables.
-bad cable extensions.

I don't have a furry pet, but is pet hair capable of carrying a charge?

Moving from an 8600K to a 9900K isn't the same as moving from a 7740X to a 7820X, for example; it should've been as simple as a take old part out, put new part in, and turn 'er on.
With the latter pair of cpus, if you do not clear CMOS before powering on the 7820X, it will actually be fried upon powering it on.

As for the motherboard, it's exactly what kerberos_20 said: worst case, the H310 motherboard would VRM power throttle under load.

Solution

zayman

Prominent
Oct 30, 2021
About the only ways you could've screwed this up is by:
-the gpu not being fully inserted in the slot when it was powered on. Ditto for the auxillary cables.
-bad cable extensions.

I don't have a furry pet, but is pet hair capable of carrying a charge?

Moving from an 8600K to a 9900K isn't the same as moving from a 7740X to a 7820X, for example; it should've been as simple as a take old part out, put new part in, and turn 'er on.
With the latter pair of cpus, if you do not clear CMOS before powering on the 7820X, it will actually be fried upon powering it on.

As for the motherboard, it's exactly what kerberos_20 said: worst case, the H310 motherboard would VRM power throttle under load.
Ordered a new EVGA 850 B5, everything will be here by Wednesday. Going to put the new graphics card and gpu in then. Thanks for all the help. Still a bit confused on how all this happened, but I appreciate the guidance and advice.