Question killed backup software installation with task manager during backup to External drive

Jun 5, 2022
During a backup to an external drive of all of my files the process got stuck and I was forced to kill it through the task manager. My concern is that this could have damaged any of the original files on my harddrive (ie corruption, file lose, etc).

Could this have caused any damage to my original files located on my computer?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The only way you can find out if the files on both ends aren't corrupt is to go over your original files and see if their integrity is intact. I doubt the data on the originals will be compromised but in any case you should check both the original and the duplicate/backup drive. The fact that the app needed to forced into shut down would indicate either an OS corruption, a failing or faulty drive or both or you have malware on your platform.

Jun 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The only way you can find out if the files on both ends aren't corrupt is to go over your original files and see if their integrity is intact. I doubt the data on the originals will be compromised but in any case you should check both the original and the duplicate/backup drive. The fact that the app needed to forced into shut down would indicate either an OS corruption, a failing or faulty drive or both or you have malware on your platform.
Hi. Thank you for the response. I think I should be more specific.

I was installing the backup software itself, which got stuck during installation and needed to be killed. I worry because during this installation on another device it seemed to create one of my folders on the external drive despite not yet being installed.

When I had killed the process on the main computer no files/folders had been visually created, but I worry since there was no apparent status bar.

I dont believe there is any malware or system corruption. I'm just worried about the originals having been messed up in some way.

I worry because during this installation on another device it seemed to create one of my folders on the external drive despite not yet being installed.......................I'm just worried about the originals having been messed up in some way.

What software package is this?

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't think installation of software on an internal C would have any effect at all on an external.

After installation, backup software often allows two types of backups....one safer than the other and involving temporary files. The other quicker but more risk.

Jun 5, 2022
What software package is this?

Off the top of my head, I wouldn't think installation of software on an internal C would have any effect at all on an external.

After installation, backup software often allows two types of backups....one safer than the other and involving temporary files. The other quicker but more risk.
It was WD Discovery, and it was installed directly off of the external drive (which it came included on) while the drive was plugged in. It got stuck at 18 percent installed and the process needed to be killed through task manager.

It was WD Discovery, and it was installed directly off of the external drive (which it came included on) while the drive was plugged in. It got stuck at 18 percent installed and the process needed to be killed through task manager.

Yet another instance of why it might be a good idea to avoid backup software provided by drive manufacturers. You typically don't exactly know what you are signing up for.

Reactions: USAFRet

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
During a backup to an external drive of all of my files the process got stuck and I was forced to kill it through the task manager. My concern is that this could have damaged any of the original files on my harddrive (ie corruption, file lose, etc).

Could this have caused any damage to my original files located on my computer?
I use Acronis and ToDo. I can specify what data unlike some that just let you take a snapshot. Lifetime licenses I bought years ago. Not using the cloud for various reasons. I control the data and don't worry and things getting deleted. Like said use reputable backup software not some freebie.

A there is lots of quality software that happens to be free, at least for personal use, such as fee versions of Macrium Reflect, Acronis (free version of True Image ships with many Western Digital and Crucial drives), and also RescueZilla ,and Clonezilla, I do not consider it remotely accurate to say/imply that 'freebie' somehow equates to 'less than reputable'. (I used Clonezilla to image LUX-encrypted Linux/Win10 dual boot SSD to an external drive, then to test the process, deleted all partitions, quick formatted the SSD, and had the dual boot image restored fairly quickly, of course limited by the external spinning drive's read speeds, which can only reimage at the rate of roughly ~150 GB/hour.)