[SOLVED] Killed my PC. Is it safe to try to use my gpu from that machine on my new build?

Dec 17, 2020
I had a weird situation happen waking up 1 night to my old pc making like a broken cd sound. I had it laying on it's side because I was running a solver on it 24/7. Somehow the radiator/heatsink had managed to create like a half gallon of fluid and my motherboard was soaking wet and looked like capacitors and stuff had either blew up or corroded. My cpu had fried (many pins) also the cpu socket.
The mobo wasn't swimming but there was so much water on the floor/cupped in the heatsink

So im building a new pc now and been waiting on my 3080 to arrive (2m now will be 2-5weeks more looking at refill rates) and im just wondering if it's safe to test out my old 980 on my new build to avaid having to buy a 200e gpu just to use for abt a month. The gpu wasn't under any load at the time and im not even sure how bad the mobo fried so I'm thinking maybe theres a chance the gpu didn't die.

I wont care if the gpu doesnt work but if it blows up my new systemor damages it i will be tilted beyond relief.

Thx for any possible insights.

Solution
I would not take the risk.

If you know someone with an extra computer/test system who is willing to let you try the 980 GPU there, then that would be a way to determine if the GPU works or not.

Might even work for a bit until some partially damaged unseen GPU component gives out and it all ends badly.

Either in the test system or eventually in the new mobo.

The GPU should be relegated to some sacrificial system where a catastrophic failure of any sort does not/ will not matter.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not take the risk.

If you know someone with an extra computer/test system who is willing to let you try the 980 GPU there, then that would be a way to determine if the GPU works or not.

Might even work for a bit until some partially damaged unseen GPU component gives out and it all ends badly.

Either in the test system or eventually in the new mobo.

The GPU should be relegated to some sacrificial system where a catastrophic failure of any sort does not/ will not matter.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Solution
Dec 17, 2020
Ok thx. I have been in line for 3060ti It might be instock faster so ill hope on that and sell it once my 3080 arrives. They seem to be re selling for higher than store price so can probably get rid of fast it at least without a big loss. If not I found some 1030 with 2outputs for 80 so ill just go wlth that if I have too.