Kim Dotcom Flaunts New Mega Servers: 720 TB Per Rack

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

npcomplete

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
[citation][nom]Madjimms[/nom]Wow, plenty of capitalists posting on the board.... makes me ill.[/citation]
I assume you support Dotcom (as do I). You realize this is capitalistic venture, right?

[citation][nom]m32[/nom]You would think he would resolve his current legal battle first. I can't see him trying to make the service for US citizens, if so, then he's asking for trouble.[/citation]
It's probably a good time as any. The US gov has a lot on its plate. But he needs money as the US will likely keep on pressing. He has popular support in NZ. There's huge controversy in NZ over what is coming to light regarding collaboration with FBI, spying, etc that is turning out to be quite a conspiracy.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Controversy and conspiracy aside, I really don't like this guy, he is making loads of cash of other peoples "art", whether it be music or films. And to boot he is cocky about it. I don't agree with the way the situation has been handled but this guy is a douche.

[citation][nom]jonjonjon[/nom]i believe he was paying people to host copyrighted material. if you uploaded something and got X amount of downloads he would pay you. guess what gets the most downloads? you guessed it. movies and other copyrighted stuff. so he was basically encouraging people to host copyrighted material and then paying them. that's why they raided him.[/citation]

I wouldn't go as far as to say that that was encouraging illegal files being uploaded/downloaded through MegaUpload. Such a sentiment seems similar to saying that a guns salesmen is encouraging gun crime IMO. Sure, maybe he actually intended for that, but without reasonably undeniable proof, such accusation seems unfair if made into anything more than suspicions.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
@blaz
Hey there... :)
Maybe it could've been something like, "How could he not've know?" or maybe that it should've been his responsibility to know these things (legal matters concerning intellectual property and stuff), just like other businesses do.
I do remember that I hate this guy for a reason... Can't recall totally, but what RADIO_ACTIVE said may be it. Also that he was proud himself about the matter just generally speaking. Do you recall such news? :)

Hey :)

I recall some accusations against him being not only blatantly false, but proven wrong in court when he looked over the documents against him, so it's difficult for me to take a stance against the guy. He's been pushed around beyond the extents of law regardless of whether or not he did intentionally allow illegal content on Megaupload. Like I've said before, sure, he knew that there was illegal content on Megaupload, but not a single day went by where I looked around and found newly removed illegal content, so it's not like he wasn't active in removing what shouldn't be there.

Whether or not Megaupload did a good enough job of cleaning the illegal material, IDK and whether or not it was merely a front to make it look like illegal content was not allowed, IDK, but it's something. Given what's been done to him and what's been attempted at him, I definitely wouldn't have much respect for the law enforcement in his position either. Of course, that's not really morally correct, but a guy's got his limits with what he'll put up with.

Of course, like I said, it's difficult to pass judgement on him (at least for me) given how little we know to be irrefutably true about the situation. Most of the facts that I can find do not prove him beyond a doubt to be innocent nor do they prove him beyond a doubt to be guilty.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
@blaz
Well, you do have a point there. I guess I shouldn't really be so judgmental towards him since I myself only read articles and stuff about the matter (which, yeah, could have false info). Maybe the things I find annoying about him are just him acting out because of his annoyance towards those who may have (possibly) falsely accused him. Well, I just hom justice is done here...

Status
Not open for further replies.