[SOLVED] (kinda urgent) Why is ASUS's ROG Strix G15 is cheaper than MSI's GS66 Stealth, and which one should i get?

Sep 20, 2020
So, for those catching up i just bought an MSI GS66 Stealth (see below for detailed info), couple of hours after purchasing that i came across ASUS's ROG Strix G15 (see below for details) and it's just straight out a better laptop (technically) and it's 150$ cheaper. Why is it so cheap, what's wrong with, does it have heating problems and why MOD EDIT is it so cheap? I would really appreciate some guidance here cause i have no idea about laptops.

Please note that i will be using this laptop primarily for video/photo editing, coding and secondarily as a gaming machine.

MSI GS66 Stealth: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS66-Stealth-10SE-442-i7-10875H/dp/B0895Q3HW5/ref=sr_1_1?tag=georiot-us-default-20&dchild=1&fst=as:eek:ff&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&qid=1600634776&refinements=p_36:100000-167000,p_6:ATVPDKIKX0DER,p_n_intended_use_browse-bin:9647497011&rnid=2421885011&s=computers-intl-ship&sr=1-1&ascsubtag=tomshardware-row-1048418675304720500-20

ASUS ROG Strix G15: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Display-i7-10750H-Keyboard-G512LW-ES76/dp/B0863Y4QGV/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1K5VVC3I6TI6P&dchild=1&keywords=asus+laptop+g15&qid=1600708032&sprefix=asus+,aps,363&sr=8-2

mod edit language

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Thanks for the reply (and sorry for the naughty language). From what i have heard there is a big difference between 2060 and 2070 when it comes to video/photo editing because of that i was leaning towards getting the G15 but i know they aren't exactly the best quality, long lasting laptops and i need my new laptop to last me for 4 years. Looking at it from a longevity perspective would you recommend the G15?

It really depends on what applications/programs you're using and whether they benefit from CPU/GPU more. Some can heavily utilize the GPU, others are predominantly CPU.

If using Premiere Pro (for example), there's a good write-up from Puget Systems here...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'd have to look at definitive reviews, but I doubt any "Strix" laptop is complete garbage.

The G15 uses a (slightly) older 6c/12t i7 vs the 8/16 in the GS66 but includes a better GPU and larger storage.
As far as 'why' it's cheaper - there's no obvious reason, it'll either be the MSRP ASUS feel they can sell it for and profit, or it'll be a sale price (although Amazon are usually pretty 'in your face' about sales).

The Strix is definitely the better 'value' all round.... but for photo/video editing, you may benefit more from the additional cores/threads that you would from the stronger GPU.

Reactions: AlexanderTournier
Sep 20, 2020
I'd have to look at definitive reviews, but I doubt any "Strix" laptop is complete garbage.

The G15 uses a (slightly) older 6c/12t i7 vs the 8/16 in the GS66 but includes a better GPU and larger storage.
As far as 'why' it's cheaper - there's no obvious reason, it'll either be the MSRP ASUS feel they can sell it for and profit, or it'll be a sale price (although Amazon are usually pretty 'in your face' about sales).

The Strix is definitely the better 'value' all round.... but for photo/video editing, you may benefit more from the additional cores/threads that you would from the stronger GPU.
Thanks for the reply (and sorry for the naughty language). From what i have heard there is a big difference between 2060 and 2070 when it comes to video/photo editing because of that i was leaning towards getting the G15 but i know they aren't exactly the best quality, long lasting laptops and i need my new laptop to last me for 4 years. Looking at it from a longevity perspective would you recommend the G15?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

It really depends on what applications/programs you're using and whether they benefit from CPU/GPU more. Some can heavily utilize the GPU, others are predominantly CPU.

If using Premiere Pro (for example), there's a good write-up from Puget Systems here:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...obe-Premiere-Pro-143/Hardware-Recommendations

Takeaway at a glance:
Premiere Pro benefits greatly from using a GPU, but which card is best depends on how many GPU-accelerated effects you use. If you only use a few, even a RTX 2060 SUPER should perform about as well as an RTX 2080 Ti. However, the more GPU-accelerated effects you use, the greater the benefit to using a higher-end card.

Reactions: AlexanderTournier
Solution