Kinect for Windows Receives Significant Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
still not significant enough to get me to spend a bill on something that will almost certainly not be compatible with the new XBOX (If I even bother to get it, ever.)

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]still not significant enough to get me to spend a bill on something that will almost certainly not be compatible with the new XBOX (If I even bother to get it, ever.)[/citation]
This new SDK is really for the developers working on integrating Kinect into their software/hardware. If you're not doing that then this release would mean very little to you.

[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]still not significant enough to get me to spend a bill on something that will almost certainly not be compatible with the new XBOX (If I even bother to get it, ever.)[/citation]
Supposedly the new kinnect will be bundled with the new kinnect. This version is only for developers and commercial use.

Still, that is the big question. If they bring xbox to the PC (as the nextbox is supposedly x86 running win8 it should not be hard to do) then they will require the xbox version of the kinnect for the PC. But if they don't bring xbox to the PC then I really want a leap motion sensor to use with win8. Either way I am not going to go out and get a touch screen for my PC and I would like SOMETHING to use as a touch replacement.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I can see lots of potential here. No reason to buy one yet though, unless you're a developer working on Kinect enabled applications.

In my office building lobby they have a touch-screen kiosk that shows the news/weather, a Kinect version would be MUCH better to avoid all those dirty fingerprints.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]I still can not find a PC kinect even at what should be reputable dealers locally[/citation]
You use the Xbox Kinect, there is no separate PC Kinect (yet), and there's this thing called the interwebs you can supposedly buy things on???

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
If an SDK kit for Kinect for the PC was compatible with the Xbox I would be very impressed

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Well this is of no consequence for the average user but good for devs. At least MS is putting some money behind it and it's not fading into the background like some other "new" tech.

Look forward to the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.