Kingston 120gb SSDNOW v300

GrumpyKitten

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
Hello All,

Thanks to this community, I was able to build my first gaming pc. I found a sweet deal on this SSD for $50, but I was questioning it's reliability.

FX6300
8gb 1866
R9 270
EVGA SuperNova 750B
1TB Western Digital
120GB Kingston SSDNOW v300

The HD is for digital media, games (from steam and other places), maybe important documents and random files. The SSD will run the Windows 8.1 64 OS, all software, cloud files, and general downloads. I will be opening/moving/transferring/deleting quite frequently. Is this SSD I bought really reliable? I want to know if it will last me a few years down the road and still keep its performance. I've heard mixed reviews that are both good and bad, but they are quite outdated. The recent post(s) don't specifically answer the question I'm asking.

In short, will it be able to keep up with a HD lifespan. I'm not looking for super fast speeds. Just something that's faster then an HD, consistent, and very reliable. I have a old 70gb HD that's still going after 5 years. It's not a must have on my list. It's not a problem if I have to wait an additional X time to have reliability over speed.

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

P.S.
This is a budget build. Hence I would of gone with something like the Samsung EVO Pro.

Solution
If you're using your ssd for important files, make sure to back them up. This is true for any brand/model of ssd. When they go down, they go down hard (worse than hdd's). Most of the failures people experience aren't due to exceeding the write capacity of the nand chips, they're due to controller or other failures and an ssd is instantly bricked beyond recovery. Treat it like if it goes down tomorrow, your biggest loss is reinstalling the os and importing your files back onto a new one from your backup.
If you're using your ssd for important files, make sure to back them up. This is true for any brand/model of ssd. When they go down, they go down hard (worse than hdd's). Most of the failures people experience aren't due to exceeding the write capacity of the nand chips, they're due to controller or other failures and an ssd is instantly bricked beyond recovery. Treat it like if it goes down tomorrow, your biggest loss is reinstalling the os and importing your files back onto a new one from your backup.

Solution

Skipoosh

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
I currently own this SSD in my laptop, I find it to be very reliable and decently fast. Not 450/450 like the box says but, around 250/150 in practice, personally, I notice no issues in loading time or anything, can do bf4 in about 20s. As for reliability, this ssd has a built in write vs time monitor , if you write TBs of files too early in its life, the SSD will throttle down to save on cycles, also, if you are concerned, back up your files to a hdd.