Kingston Announces HyperX Red as a Permanent Product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]RAM Manufacturers: Y U NO Give us black PCBs >_>[/citation]
CUZ YO black PCBs be expensive. And why bother if it is going to be covered with a heat spreader?

Also... Kingston sold HyperX with red spreaders? News to me. Needa get my head outta the sand.

Edits: IN CASE YO WANTED TO KNO..... Technically the color of the PCB is not actually the PCB itself, but the color of the solder mask used. The real color of a PCB is more like a baby-poop brown. Why they traditionally use a green solder mask... I have no idea. But it probably was because either green was cheaper to produce originally, or the military required green from some reason. Now they can do any color of the rainbow, but I betcha the traditional green is the cheapest option.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]CUZ YO black PCBs be expensive. And why bother if it is going to be covered with a heat spreader?Also... Kingston sold HyperX with red spreaders? News to me. Needa get my head outta the sand.Edits: IN CASE YO WANTED TO KNO..... Technically the color of the PCB is not actually the PCB itself, but the color of the solder mask used. The real color of a PCB is more like a baby-poop brown. Why they traditionally use a green solder mask... I have no idea. But it probably was because either green was cheaper to produce originally, or the military required green from some reason. Now they can do any color of the rainbow, but I betcha the traditional green is the cheapest option.[/citation]
Very interesting, thanks.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Green fab + Red heat spreader = Heavy vomit from my side.
I've actually been a definite Kingston fan for a long time, but now I have no more doubts about the fact that achromatic people are working in that company, and looks like there are a lot of them...

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Green fab + Red heat spreader = Heavy vomit from my side.I've actually been a definite Kingston fan for a long time, but now I have no more doubts about the fact that achromatic people are working in that company, and looks like there are a lot of them...[/citation]

You don't look at it every minutes. So, yeahh..

dissbelief

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Who cares about color? Personally, I'll take the best performing ram at a price i can afford whether it is pink, grey, or fecal matter. I bet you can run this ram on AMD 9xx but you may have to adjust timings manually. If you try it, don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]dissbelief[/nom]Who cares about color? Personally, I'll take the best performing ram at a price i can afford whether it is pink, grey, or fecal matter.[/citation]
I think you may be unique in that.

G

Okay, honestly, who gives a shit what your PCB or whatever they calls it looks like? Most of the time, you will be looking at your monitor.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]CUZ YO black PCBs be expensive. And why bother if it is going to be covered with a heat spreader?Also... Kingston sold HyperX with red spreaders? News to me. Needa get my head outta the sand.Edits: IN CASE YO WANTED TO KNO..... Technically the color of the PCB is not actually the PCB itself, but the color of the solder mask used. The real color of a PCB is more like a baby-poop brown. Why they traditionally use a green solder mask... I have no idea. But it probably was because either green was cheaper to produce originally, or the military required green from some reason. Now they can do any color of the rainbow, but I betcha the traditional green is the cheapest option.[/citation]
True. Any other color of the solder mask other than the default green costs extra. Funny thing is if you get it to be made transparent, i.e. no soldermask color, even then it is more expensive since it is not default.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]M1n3Kraft[/nom]Okay, honestly, who gives a shit what your PCB or whatever they calls it looks like? Most of the time, you will be looking at your monitor.[/citation]

Great, we have some DIMMS with pink poka-dot heat-spreaders for you. Enjoy.

[citation][nom]M1n3Kraft[/nom]Okay, honestly, who gives a shit what your PCB or whatever they calls it looks like? Most of the time, you will be looking at your monitor.[/citation]
On the one hand, that's true. I've been building my own for about two decades, and all I see is the black box under my desk. And I usually pile office supplies on top of it.

On the other hand, some of the people here are craftsmen/women who take pride in the quality of their systems and want to add an extra something by making it look impressive and, I hope, aesthetically (?) coherent. As opposed to a bunch of shiny things randomly assembled.

So why not be tolerant of those who find that kind of thing satisfying, and the suppliers who pander to them - err, give them what they want? Do a Google search for case mods. You can see some epic stuff in there. My favorites are the Steampunk mods - If I were handy, or could afford to buy the services of one of these people, I would go with that. It's like buying beautiful furniture: a molded plastic chair would hold my butt off the floor, but the stuff looks so much better in my living room.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]...So why not be tolerant of those who find that kind of thing satisfying...[/citation]
I will infer by the post you're responding to that the author is not quite an adult yet. It can be hard for teens in this day and age to be tolerant when so much of what they see in the media suggests they be otherwise.

halcyon

Not really - I'm (harrumph) decades old and sometimes I find it hard to understand why people spend time and energy doing X when X is clearly a waste of time, and stupid, and something I would never give a rodent's posterior about. I have to remind myself of the mantra I was trying to communicate to that poster, "Not to my taste."

If something sucks, it's "Not to my taste." That way, if you think it's great, I'm not passing judgment on you. Personally, I can't stand reading the works of Charles Dickens. But I'm willing to assume that the flaw is in me, not in those books.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]RAM Manufacturers: Y U NO Give us black PCBs >_>[/citation]
azraa, Ragnar-Kon Y U NO use Google? OCZ, Crucial, G Skill, Mushkin, Samsung, AMD made black PCB RAM modules is what you can see among first 30 results.

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Green fab + Red heat spreader = Heavy vomit from my side.I've actually been a definite Kingston fan for a long time, but now I have no more doubts about the fact that achromatic people are working in that company, and looks like there are a lot of them...[/citation]
Most of PCBs are painted green by tradition, why swapping colors for areas that will not be visible? I would be more worried that some inexperienced person like you will break that heat spreader by showing it at wrong angle in the slot.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]M1n3Kraft[/nom]Okay, honestly, who gives a *** what your PCB or whatever they calls it looks like? Most of the time, you will be looking at your monitor.[/citation]
Watch out we have a badass here,he has numbers in his handly. Who cares? Same kind of people who keep their engine compartments clean or have custom engine covers on their cars. You know people who value both form and function, and actually make distinction between them.

[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]halcyon Not really - I'm (harrumph) decades old and sometimes I find it hard to understand why people spend time and energy doing X when X is clearly a waste of time, and stupid, and something I would never give a rodent's posterior about. I have to remind myself of the mantra I was trying to communicate to that poster, "Not to my taste." If something sucks, it's "Not to my taste." That way, if you think it's great, I'm not passing judgment on you. Personally, I can't stand reading the works of Charles Dickens. But I'm willing to assume that the flaw is in me, not in those books.[/citation]
Which only says that you are adult. As opposed to kids/immature pricks who would, to use your example, said "who gives flying fudge about Dickens when everyone is reading Twilight, 50 Shades of Gray or some other illiterate crap".

Status
Not open for further replies.