Kingston Coming With 30 GB 'Boot' SSD for $80

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]zelannii[/nom] Even my heavily locked down corporate image drive with XP is using more than 30GB and all my docs are in a home folder on a server... All that's on this machine is office apps, acrobat, CA unicenter, a few java apps, and antivirus... I'm not even considdering an SSD below 120GB.[/citation]

How the hell are you managing that? My netbook is running XP, on a 30 GB hard drive, and I've got the OS, OpenOffice, the games Torchlight and Sacred Gold, as well as Plants vs Zombies and Peggle, Firefox, Foxit Reader, and I *still* have about 11 GB left. You're doing something wrong, clearly.

I also ran Windows 7 comfortably on my Netbook for about 7 months, never ran out of space because I wasn't trying to install things 'willy-nilly'. So 30 GB is easily enough for a boot drive, IF YOU MANAGE IT.

traesta

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Come on price drops .... maybe i'll decide to actually turn my computer off every now and then rather that leave it on 24/7 cause I hate having to wait for it to boot up ....

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]My Win 7 x64 installation is ~1.35GB[/citation]
How is that possible? Just pagefile and hiberfil would take up over 7GB of space.

roagie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Umm i already boot my OS on a SSD, have for over a year... run my other apps on a SATA 320GB HD...I don't know what's the big deal here.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]+1. Exactly what I'm thinking. For just the OS, few games,etc you need at least 80GB. [/citation]

The drive is supposed to be a BOOT/OS drive only. 30GB is more than enough for Windows7 and some productivity programs (MS-Office2010 may eat about 1GB). A Windows7 installation maybe 7~12GB in size. With 4~8GB of RAM, the swap file can be minimal since it cant be disabled.

You install your games, data files and everything else on a standard $80 1TB HD.

-----
Still, I want to see a 50~60GB drive for about $100 that do 220+ Read and 100+ write.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]The drive is supposed to be a BOOT/OS drive only. 30GB is more than enough for Windows7 and some productivity programs (MS-Office2010 may eat about 1GB). A Windows7 installation maybe 7~12GB in size. With 4~8GB of RAM, the swap file can be minimal since it cant be disabled.You install your games, data files and everything else on a standard $80 1TB HD.-----Still, I want to see a 50~60GB drive for about $100 that do 220+ Read and 100+ write.[/citation]
that mostly defeats the purpose of a boot drive. you are suppose to install the OS on it, and thus making the os much more responsive. a system with a decent amount of memory will rarely use virtual memory.

the main problem is that while windows can use multiple program locations, most installers default to drive C and some don't even give the option to change the install location. and others that do require users to select advanced install instead of typical (while both are simple, most don't) a 30GB drive is too small.

the most you can use it for is a cache disk for professional apps like photoshop, maya, and some professional video editors which will use a lot of disk space for caching instead of memory. But even then it will be useless because write speeds are too low. those apps will be very laggy compared to using a HDD for caching.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Really? Or just their recommended size? If so, the 30GB SSD becomes completely useless. But google does show results of people installing Win7 on a 20GB partition.

Razor:
Any productivity program I've ever worked with have the option where to install. Installing OS Win7 and Productivity for most users is fine at 30~32GB. Photoshop and other PRO level programs usually have user-selectable cache locations.

If the user is a professional person who has video editing software and such... Wouldn't but this low-cost drive. Its not the intended targeted customer.

** My C: Drive is a 35GB partition with WindowsXP (I did have Win7rc until MS took away the family pack). It has ALL of my productivity software installed. Some of "My documents", no work files. Internet cache (of course) and downloads of software until I moved them off (downloads.com, game demos, etc) 4 browsers, and tools that typical users don't use or need. Wow... only 9GB of space being used! When it was Windows7, it was about 14~15GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.