Discussion Kingston DDR4 RAM troubles "fixed"?

FrutyX

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2017
Heya,

yesterday I've bought a kit of two RAMs (2x8GB) and added it to my already working old kit (2x8GB as well), they are the same brand and model (but I do understand they are not the same, I even noticed that the DRAM manufacturer is different). Before installing the new ones, I have disabled my current XMP profile (3200Mhz) and enabled it again after adding the new kit.

I was running them for like half of the day, doing stuff on Chrome and even playing games, without any problems, however, since I am kinda paranoid (I guess), I ran a quick Windows Memory Diagnostic test, and at 23% I got an hardware error detected, I ran this Windows test multiple times, and I had always errors.

So I quickly switched to Passmark's Memtest86, all was flawless until during Pass 2 I got one error during Test 8, after that, I was hoping it could be an issue with the XMP profile, so I have disabled it, ran the Windows test once more, and no error was found, which was promising, then I decided to change the XMP profile to a lower one (3000Mhz) and no error was reported, once more then I changed the XMP profile to the one was using all the time (3200Mhz), ran the Windows test and huh? No errors found, I also ran Memtest86 overnight with 4 passes and then another 4 passes of only Test 8 (that previously found one error) and it passed, no errors were found.

So I wonder, is it fixed? Did the fact, that I have completely disabled the XMP profile on all four sticks, then re-apllied the profiles again somehow "aligned" those sticks, now running without a problem?

Specs:

Case: MSI Mag Forge 100M (All fans placed)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B550 GAMING X V2 (BIOS F16)
Power supply: Corsair RM750x (2021)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 (No OC)
CPU Cooler: SilentiumPC Fera 5
Memory: Kingston FURY 16+16GB KITS (4x8) DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)
Graphic Card: ASUS Dual Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 (No OC)
SSD (OS): Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB (TRIM on)
SSD 2: Samsung SSD 870 EVO 500GB (TRIM on)

(KF3200C16D4)

Last edited:
Solution
So yeah, I forgot to mention that I solved this one.

As mentioned above, two same pairs aren't always the same, and I did a rookie mistake, I misplaced them.

The old ones were working with the new ones and the new ones were working with the old ones, and that was the problem, I had them in the wrong slots.

They were (OLD) A1, A2 and (NEW) B1, B2, however, it doesn't work like that, I wanted the old and new ones to be together but they needed to be (OLD) A1 + B1 and (NEW) A2 + B2 and so, they worked together.

Now all errors are away, I did stressed them for a day, with various test, there are absolutely no errors.

Lutfij

Titan
It could be nothing, then again if the issue is alleviated when you don't have the new two sticks of ram, then the issue could be in one or both sticks of new ram. How far apart is the purchase between the old and the new kit?

FrutyX

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2017
So yeah, I forgot to mention that I solved this one.

As mentioned above, two same pairs aren't always the same, and I did a rookie mistake, I misplaced them.

The old ones were working with the new ones and the new ones were working with the old ones, and that was the problem, I had them in the wrong slots.

They were (OLD) A1, A2 and (NEW) B1, B2, however, it doesn't work like that, I wanted the old and new ones to be together but they needed to be (OLD) A1 + B1 and (NEW) A2 + B2 and so, they worked together.

Now all errors are away, I did stressed them for a day, with various test, there are absolutely no errors.

Solution