kingston hyper x blue 1333mhz

Fozzard123

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
im after upgrading my amount of ram to 16gb but i dont fancy buying the full 16gb only want the 8gb to go with my original 8gb, also if this is not a problem can they all be overclocked also without issue?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
First thing I would do is open task manager then do whatever you do with the PC and see if you actually need more memory. If your not using close to what you have then their no reason to add more you will see no difference.
As for if you can overclock it well yes and no it depends on the memory you have (they make a lot of those some are low quality that already takes 1.65 volts to just run 1333 speed) Adding more memory does not have to be the exact same memory but the voltage, timings and speed really need to be the same.

IF all of them are from same brand, with same buss speed, timings, voltage, then you have no problem.
You must always use same brand memories for avoiding some issues like stability, and performance problems.
Also getting memories in their original kits(dual channel kit for instance), can give you better results, related to overcloking the more modules you use the lower oc posibilities, so less modules, better OC potential.