Review Kingston KC3000 M.2 SSD Review: The Fastest Flash You Can Get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Co BIY

Splendid
I disagree with the idea that hiding QR codes and other data on the back is a plus. On the principle that useful data should be placed in a readily accessible place.

It would be interesting to run some of these drive tests on a new Z690 board test sled. If this is the fastest drive available it is most likely to demonstrate any possible benefit to the PCIe 5.0 interface.

Maybe one vendor needs to market a 3 TB drive ? The $600 jump is too much. Leaves a lot of market space in my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kridian
Apr 1, 2020
Would be interesting to see the 1TB results as well.

Call me crazy too, but I'd still choose the Samsung 980 Pro, and I'm not just saying that because I HAVE one, the 1TB model...

image.png

Mar 26, 2022
Sean, would you explain your statement "If you are looking to upgrade your lightweight laptop, consider the Samsung 980 Pro or WD Black SN850, both of which are more power-efficient...". In reference to high temps, for my understanding and comparison uses, please explain why you pick the WD SN850 as a laptop upgrade over the Kingston KC3000 when based on your SN850 review. Your SN850 review stated that it runs to a peak of 92 deg-C vs. KC3000's 70 deg-C? During gaming, is the efficiency high enough to keep the temps down so the SN850 won't see the 92degsC during gaming? I appreciate the temperature information in your reviews. Most of the other reviewers don’t include data, let alone IR data to verify the S.M.A.R.T data. TY

reference: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-black-sn850-m-2-nvme-ssd-review/3

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Sean, would you explain your statement "If you are looking to upgrade your lightweight laptop, consider the Samsung 980 Pro or WD Black SN850, both of which are more power-efficient...". In reference to high temps, for my understanding and comparison uses, please explain why you pick the WD SN850 as a laptop upgrade over the Kingston KC3000 when based on your SN850 review. Your SN850 review stated that it runs to a peak of 92 deg-C vs. KC3000's 70 deg-C? During gaming, is the efficiency high enough to keep the temps down so the SN850 won't see the 92degsC during gaming? I appreciate the temperature information in your reviews. Most of the other reviewers don’t include data, let alone IR data to verify the S.M.A.R.T data. TY

reference: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-black-sn850-m-2-nvme-ssd-review/3
Hi, I reviewed the WD long before the KC3000 ever existed. The review is reflective of it’s time. Phison SSDs are very power hungry. If you want a SSD for laptops get a Samsung 980 pro, WD Black SN850, or if you don’t mind a little slower in some regard, the WD Black SN770 and SK hynix Gold P31. I did some laptop battery testing a little while ago that you can use as comparison reference.

https://www.tomshardware.com/featur...op-with-pcie-40-storage-which-ssd-is-the-best

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS