Kingston Readies Next-Gen SSDNow V Series SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
V100 was good in that it wasn't based on SandForce, that's why I got one (96GB capacity) for my HTPC. I haven't heard good news about V200, however. This V300 seems to follow in the same vein...

helltag

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Crucial and Kingston are amazing reliability, Not sure what lostmyclan is thinking but Kingston are better than OCZ in reliability and the HyperX series tops most OCZ products in performance.

Google did a nice test on DOA and return rates and the "leader" by a long shot was OCZ SSDs. It's why I avoid them, Crucial topped with Intel as the lowest.

Bleh. Samsung 840 is taking over as my go-to bang-for-the-buck SSD recommendation since the price is dropping below that of the 830. I don't see Kingston offering these mehtastic SSDs all that much cheaper.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Nah, My SSD V100 was so unreliable, it died within 3 months, got a replacement SSD though from them rather quickly, but having one drive die on you is enough to make anyone reel.

Though I recently got a 256gb SP900 Adata SSD on sale and thoroughly enjoying it.

[citation][nom]ToastyMozart[/nom]Retailing for about $2200[/citation]

There are a few around $1 per GB. For example, OCZ's 960GB RevoDrive X2 can be found for $1000 and their even faster RevoDrive 3 X2 960GB can be found for about $1150.

soundping

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]JeTJL[/nom]Nah, My SSD V100 was so unreliable, it died within 3 months, got a replacement SSD though from them rather quickly, but having one drive die on you is enough to make anyone reel. Though I recently got a 256gb SP900 Adata SSD on sale and thoroughly enjoying it.[/citation]
My SP900 256gb Adata SSD is great!

mikmik

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
I get 550 read and 520 write on atto on my SVP200 120GB. Read is above 500mBs at 32kB and up, and at 128, the write breaks 500mBs. I sure have no problems with that - it is above spec(I think)

I wonder if I can run raid0 with the SVP200 and a new SV300. Sent a request to tech at Kingston.

[citation][nom]mikmik[/nom]I get 550 read and 520 write on atto on my SVP200 120GB. Read is above 500mBs at 32kB and up, and at 128, the write breaks 500mBs. I sure have no problems with that - it is above spec(I think)I wonder if I can run raid0 with the SVP200 and a new SV300. Sent a request to tech at Kingston.[/citation]

Of course you can ;) You can RAID just about any storage that you want to (although some types need specific methods). It'd only run at best double the speed of the slowest drive, but that can still be a lot of performance considering how fast the slower drive already is. However, unless you're doing some extremely storage-intensive work, I don't think that you'll manage to make much more use out of it than you would a single SATA 3Gb/s SSD anyway.

[citation][nom]helltag[/nom]Crucial and Kingston are amazing reliability, Not sure what lostmyclan is thinking but Kingston are better than OCZ in reliability and the HyperX series tops most OCZ products in performance. Google did a nice test on DOA and return rates and the "leader" by a long shot was OCZ SSDs. It's why I avoid them, Crucial topped with Intel as the lowest.[/citation]

OCZ is back near the top in reliability and performance with their current SSDs, the Vertex 4 and especially their Vector series.

Also, at least for SSDs, Kingston was having a lot of trouble indirectly for a while. All of the SandForce SSDS were up until around when Intel jumped in and the firmware started getting good all-around for SandForce.

Status
Not open for further replies.