Kingston Ships High-Speed HyperX SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Faster speed is always appreciated but what we really want in this economy is affordability. How about working on the performance/price ratio while you're at it? Other than that, nice addition to the SSD market :)

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Kingston SSDs, particularly their V+ 100 series, are probably your best 'bang for the buck' choice right now. Not the fastest, but also not the least reliable, and generally the best $/mb at SATAII speeds...

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Um, yeah. I really don't care about read/write speeds, as much as I care about reliability. I'll take a 50-100 hit on each read and write if it means I can not worry about failure or complete bricking.

Also, the price. JEEZE! Just give us a 240GB drive that has a mixture of speed/performance and dependability - with a price of around $250~.

Unless you're a person who transfers insanely large files all the time, I honestly cannot imagine why you'd need a SSD THIS fast. I rather just buy a cheap and reliable SSD - even the slowest SSDs beat the crap out of the fastest HDDs.

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I want them to shatter the magical $1/GB plateau. Once they do that, I think we will have ourselves a ball game...[/citation]

Two months ago the Kingston V+ 100 96GB ssd was on sale at newegg for $99.99. That's just a few pennies over $1.00/GB.

G

@jacobdrj

along with the $50 quad core CPU, cause fab for a SSD is so much more different than you CPU

verbalizer

Distinguished

I grabbed one of those too..
Then also found a Agility 2 90GB for $130 shipped on eBay.
Turned around and sold Kingston on eBay for $120 shipped... :D
It was and is a good buy.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]Prices for SSDs are a steal. Take a read and stop whining.[/citation]
$50 for can of Coke is a good deal. Would you be willing to buy it?

See where this is going?

If you somehow argue that logic, then debate the fact that a 20 oz or less bottle of water typically costs $1 or more at most public places.

Fact is, you're a window licking idiot - just like the corporations want you to be. You think you're getting a good deal on SSDs? Maybe you're a fan of Apple? You seem willing to pay whatever - you must be.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]applegetsmelaid[/nom]http://www.storagesearch.com/ssd-pricing.html[/citation]
And the same situation can be said for LCD technology when introduced. Remember the LCD vs CRT price difference?

Look at it now. It's called mass production and driving prices down by competition and research.

It's the same reason a CD player used to be exclusively for the rich in the 80's. Now I can go to Walmart and find one for $10.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I want them to shatter the magical $1/GB plateau. Once they do that, I think we will have ourselves a ball game...[/citation]
it's been less than that on multiple occasions in the past year... but given they were the cheaper models

the older models are cheaper than the newer ones... you gotta pay extra if you want the speed

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Kingston P/N Description
SH100S3/120G 120GB HyperX SSD SATA 3 2.5
SH100S3/240G 240GB HyperX SSD SATA 3 2.5
SH100S3B/120G 120GB HyperX SSD SATA 3 2.5 Upgrade Bundle Kit
SH100S3B/240G 240GB HyperX SSD SATA 3 2.5 Upgrade Bundle Kit

G

@whysobluepandabear

actually the cost of LCD is directly related to it's manufacturing yield, when they first figured out how to manufacture LCD the yield rate was as low as 30% and you were almost guaranteed to have a dead pixel somewhere so the cost of the thing was astronomical, then LG/Samsung figured out how to revive dead pixels (a propriety process which probably involves pumping large voltage through the affected pixel, LG is currently suing Samsung for patent infringement for this specific process), yield rate shot up from 30% to as high as 90% and as a result LCD prices came down

the price of the CD player came down not due to yield issues but rather recuperation of cost, currently the cost of development of CDs have been fully recuperated so CD players now are sold at a mark up from material cost

Silicon (like LCD) will never be sold based upon material cost (how much do yo think a few grams of silicon cost) but rather they will be priced by yield rates

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
I wanna USB 3.0 hybrid HDD with a 16-32GB SSD cache that can move it to the HDD on batteries so when I'm in a rush to back something up, I can & take my time when I have to recover from my affordable 1TB HDD that's also on the SSD/HDD USB 3.0 hybrid.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]YieldRates[/nom]@whysobluepandabearactually the cost of LCD is directly related to it's manufacturing yield, when they first figured out how to manufacture LCD the yield rate was as low as 30% and you were almost guaranteed to have a dead pixel somewhere so the cost of the thing was astronomical, then LG/Samsung figured out how to revive dead pixels (a propriety process which probably involves pumping large voltage through the affected pixel, LG is currently suing Samsung for patent infringement for this specific process), yield rate shot up from 30% to as high as 90% and as a result LCD prices came downthe price of the CD player came down not due to yield issues but rather recuperation of cost, currently the cost of development of CDs have been fully recuperated so CD players now are sold at a mark up from material costSilicon (like LCD) will never be sold based upon material cost (how much do yo think a few grams of silicon cost) but rather they will be priced by yield rates[/citation]
And your point?

Economics and the beliefs in it are made up. They only exist if people believe them. Gold itself is worth actually nothing - It's only worth what it is because people want it and believe it's rare and worth something. If people tomorrow suddenly decided gold was worthless, then it in fact would be just that - worthless; the price of a common rock in your driveway.

There's no reason SSDs need to be as expensive as they are - they're expensive because the people who make them corner the market and demand the prices. If you started more research, cuts more costs - along with creating more competition, then you'd see a large decline in costs/price.

Trust me, it's how Walmart came to dominate every retailer in the world. They were willing to accept less, and they STILL make crazy profits.

If a company were to start producing SSDs, that also had a supplier willing to accept less than normal market values, they would not only make a profit, but also move the bar from where it currently is. They'd ironically make MORE money, by selling the product for less - as they'd be selling many more units.

The companies and suppliers they use are not willing to accept lower right now - it's not written in stone, they just simply don't want to. They want to milk this as long as they can.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]it's been less than that on multiple occasions in the past year... but given they were the cheaper modelsthe older models are cheaper than the newer ones... you gotta pay extra if you want the speed[/citation]
Meh, it has been 'CLOSE' on a couple of models that, in particular, were VERY unreliable, not just 'slow'.

I, and many others, would take a 'slower' SSD that still works better than a HDD (otherwise, no point) but has some level of reliability, that is at or under the magic $1/GB plateau.

In fact, the Kingston SSD V+ 100 is the only drive that seems to be meeting that criteria. I have been scouring the internet for any other drive that is even reasonably fast (like a gen 1 Indilix drive) that is under a buck a gig...

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation] They want to milk this as long as they can.[/citation]

What do you expect? All other PC parts are sold with ridiculously low margins. This is finally the part to make some profit on so it's obvious manufacturers want to grab as much money as they can, while it lasts.

The problem is that all other products are getting more expensive with no real reason yet nobody complains. But as PC's which are already irrationally cheap become a bit more pricy due to newer, faster hardware suddenly the world comes at a standstill and ppl complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.