Kingston Ships High-Speed HyperX SSDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]YieldRates[/nom]@whysobluepandabearactually the cost of LCD is directly related to it's manufacturing yield, when they first figured out how to manufacture LCD the yield rate was as low as 30% and you were almost guaranteed to have a dead pixel somewhere so the cost of the thing was astronomical, then LG/Samsung figured out how to revive dead pixels (a propriety process which probably involves pumping large voltage through the affected pixel, LG is currently suing Samsung for patent infringement for this specific process), yield rate shot up from 30% to as high as 90% and as a result LCD prices came downthe price of the CD player came down not due to yield issues but rather recuperation of cost, currently the cost of development of CDs have been fully recuperated so CD players now are sold at a mark up from material costSilicon (like LCD) will never be sold based upon material cost (how much do yo think a few grams of silicon cost) but rather they will be priced by yield rates[/citation]

Wow how little you actually know. Actually the price is much lower now because of the price fixing lawsuits placed on 15 major LCD manufactures (Sharp, Toshiba, LG, Samsung, etc.. ) Basically every major LCD maker has been holding private meetings to set the priced of all LCD products, because they were getting away with it for the last 15 years

Now you can buy a 17" LCD for $70 brand new in the box. Its a scam from the get go to fleece the population of money.

Corporation knowingly set prices at much higher rates than needed, and all agree to price fixing. Government knows items are price fixed but lets the corporations get away with it until they have made a huge profit, or the people get notice of the price fixing.

Government sues corporations to make it look like they are fighting against the corporations for the people. Government fines corporations 25% of the excess profits they made from price fixing.

But do the people ever see any benefit or change? First they overpaid for a product, then they pay for a lawsuit (government lawyers cost tax $'s) to correct the wrongs of a corporation, then the lawsuit is won against the corporation, and the people don't get anything in return.

The Corporations win, the Lawyers win, the Government wins, the people are screwed. Another victory for capitalism.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
What do you expect? All other PC parts are sold with ridiculously low margins. This is finally the part to make some profit on so it's obvious manufacturers want to grab as much money as they can, while it lasts.The problem is that all other products are getting more expensive with no real reason yet nobody complains. But as PC's which are already irrationally cheap become a bit more pricy due to newer, faster hardware suddenly the world comes at a standstill and ppl complain

I expect them to be o.k. with making a profit - not a KILLING.

Have you seriously looked at these corporations lately? One year they'll make 1 billion (an example number). They'll say "Great, good work everyone". A little bit later they say "Now 1 billion was great, let's do 2 billion next year!".

So instead of being HAPPY with 1 billion in PROFIT, they instead ALWAYS have to shoot for the moon.

It's called GREED - and it never f'ing ends with these people. They can never get enough. MORE, MORE, MORE!!! Like a fat kid with cake.

All in all, I expect them to make profits, as everyone needs to make a profit to run a business. I however, stretch my mercy only so far; you can make a profit, just not a greed driven killing.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]It's nice that they're fast, but Price per Gig is key. Why can't they understand this concept?![/citation]

Greed says that they can't understand it, or accept it at the very least.

G

[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]And your point? Economics and the beliefs in it are made up. They only exist if people believe them. Gold itself is worth actually nothing - It's only worth what it is because people want it and believe it's rare and worth something. If people tomorrow suddenly decided gold was worthless, then it in fact would be just that - worthless; the price of a common rock in your driveway. There's no reason SSDs need to be as expensive as they are - they're expensive because the people who make them corner the market and demand the prices. If you started more research, cuts more costs - along with creating more competition, then you'd see a large decline in costs/price. Trust me, it's how Walmart came to dominate every retailer in the world. They were willing to accept less, and they STILL make crazy profits. If a company were to start producing SSDs, that also had a supplier willing to accept less than normal market values, they would not only make a profit, but also move the bar from where it currently is. They'd ironically make MORE money, by selling the product for less - as they'd be selling many more units. The companies and suppliers they use are not willing to accept lower right now - it's not written in stone, they just simply don't want to. They want to milk this as long as they can.[/citation]

Brillaint! i enjoyed every word! (no sarcasm intended) i am on the same page :) just not as elegant in the words needed to get the point across :)

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]$50 for can of Coke is a good deal. Would you be willing to buy it? See where this is going? If you somehow argue that logic, then debate the fact that a 20 oz or less bottle of water typically costs $1 or more at most public places. Fact is, you're a window licking idiot - just like the corporations want you to be. You think you're getting a good deal on SSDs? Maybe you're a fan of Apple? You seem willing to pay whatever - you must be.[/citation]

It may NOT be a "value" component, just like *ANY* SSD, but that's because the Tech is newer and costs more. Certain people pay for certain things, like people who buy HDSL Server SSD's for ~$2,700. Let people buy what they want. Smart people will buy smarter. Just buy what you want!

G

@whysobluepandabear

yes your point is valid but only goes so far, having worked in the auto industry i know what arbitrary pricing is, the price of a car is based upon it's weight, do you think it's any cheaper to research and manufacture a Corolla as opposed to a Camry.

But their are circumstances where arbitrary pricing does not apply, why is it there are only a handful of fab plants that can make decent silicon wafer? indeed if you can make these things for small expense and sell them for stupid money than everyone and their grandmother would be making silicon wafers, and as such drive the price of silicon down. Truth is the fab of silicon wafer is pig to get right with a decent yield rate, when you buy silicon you simply dont just buy that piece of silicon, you buy the yield cost of that piece of silicon, if a single wafer can hold a possible 100 units of which only 80 units pass mustard, the price of a unit is not simply fabrication_cost/100 it's fabrication_cost/80 your paying for the yield rather than the actually material cost, obviously there will always be manufacturer mark ups and what have you, but if you consider that a silicon ingot can produce 10s of 1000s of wafers each hold 100s of units you can see that even a failure rate of 20% will have a drastic impact upon the price per unit markup aside

semiconductor fabs will tend to hold onto large inventories to normalize the yields rates and minimize price fluctuations, but i guarantee a line failure (where one ingot may produce disastrous yields) will directly impact the price of semiconductors 6 moths in the future

@dalethepcman

as stated markup aside, the single biggest drop in the price of LCD was with the advent of a process that increased yield rates, lots of folks repackage and sell LCDs but in reality there are only 2 major fabricators that make the LCD panels themselves, just like semi conductors, there is a good reason for this

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]secretxax[/nom]It may NOT be a "value" component, just like *ANY* SSD, but that's because the Tech is newer and costs more. Certain people pay for certain things, like people who buy HDSL Server SSD's for ~$2,700. Let people buy what they want. Smart people will buy smarter. Just buy what you want![/citation]
If I just "let" people buy what they want, they screw us all over by sending a clear signal to corporations that someone out there is willing to pay that amount.

"SEE GUYS, THEY ARE WILLING TO PAY A PREMIUM TAX, LET'S KEEP THE SAME PRICE - OR MAYBE EVEN RAISE IT".

Vs

"CRAP, NO ONE IS BUYING OUT STUFF AND WE'RE GETTING CRITICIZED, MAYBE WE SHOULD CUT THE PRICE?"

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]YieldFluctations[/nom]@whysobluepandabearyes your point is valid but only goes so far, having worked in the auto industry i know what arbitrary pricing is, the price of a car is based upon it's weight, do you think it's any cheaper to research and manufacture a Corolla as opposed to a Camry.But their are circumstances where arbitrary pricing does not apply, why is it there are only a handful of fab plants that can make decent silicon wafer? indeed if you can make these things for small expense and sell them for stupid money than everyone and their grandmother would be making silicon wafers, and as such drive the price of silicon down. Truth is the fab of silicon wafer is pig to get right with a decent yield rate, when you buy silicon you simply dont just buy that piece of silicon, you buy the yield cost of that piece of silicon, if a single wafer can hold a possible 100 units of which only 80 units pass mustard, the price of a unit is not simply fabrication_cost/100 it's fabrication_cost/80 your paying for the yield rather than the actually material cost, obviously there will always be manufacturer mark ups and what have you, but if you consider that a silicon ingot can produce 10s of 1000s of wafers each hold 100s of units you can see that even a failure rate of 20% will have a drastic impact upon the price per unit markup asidesemiconductor fabs will tend to hold onto large inventories to normalize the yields rates and minimize price fluctuations, but i guarantee a line failure (where one ingot may produce disastrous yields) will directly impact the price of semiconductors 6 moths in the future@dalethepcmanas stated markup aside, the single biggest drop in the price of LCD was with the advent of a process that increased yield rates, lots of folks repackage and sell LCDs but in reality there are only 2 major fabricators that make the LCD panels themselves, just like semi conductors, there is a good reason for this[/citation]

I think manufacturers purposely markup Tier 1 items, vs Tier 2 items, even if the items are identical, or VERY close. The X5000 HAS to be more than the X4000 - even if the difference is minimal.

Same thing with cars - specifically luxury cars. The higher tier car may not even warrant the price, but since it's supposed to be an "Upgraded model", they HAVE to - otherwise people would just get the highest tier.

It's a false marketing image. Hell, some people re-brand the same old product, add another number at the end, and sell it for a premium. Doesn't mean it literally cost the company anymore to make.

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]If I just "let" people buy what they want, they screw us all over by sending a clear signal to corporations that someone out there is willing to pay that amount. "SEE GUYS, THEY ARE WILLING TO PAY A PREMIUM TAX, LET'S KEEP THE SAME PRICE - OR MAYBE EVEN RAISE IT". Vs"CRAP, NO ONE IS BUYING OUT STUFF AND WE'RE GETTING CRITICIZED, MAYBE WE SHOULD CUT THE PRICE?"[/citation]

Then what are you gonna do about people who buy an iPhone or iPad? I don't like either, but most people do! oO

secretxax

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
I'm perfectly fine with SSDs being 3.5". In fact, I'd prefer it that way, so that I wouldn't have to use a stupid 2.5" to 3.5" Mounting Adapter.

That way the SSD will last much longer, & make sense (design-wise)!

verbalizer

Distinguished

^+1
that's why I spent the extra few dollars and got a 3.5" drive and not have to use adapter.
not sure about the life differences though.
my other desktop's case has a built in 2.5" SSD bay..;)

compuservant

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
I just installed the 120GB HyperZ SSD in a dv7t quad core (hp pavilion with a mobile intel core i7) and it rocks. The Windows Experience Index scaroed the SSD under drives/discs at 7.8 just 0.1 below the max of 7.9. Well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.