Kingston Shows External USB 3.0 HyperX SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I'm not sure I see the point, to be honest. SSDs are great for boot drives and often used programs, but to use them for "storage" beyond that just isn't cost effective.

Are you really going to store movies and music on an SSD? Even if you did, would you need that kind of speed?

What use is a smaller, faster external drive?

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
The only value I can see in this is when noise is a factor or for use at extremely high altitudes. Although, what would a mountain climber need an external SSD for? Their laptop and cameras would be already using SSDs.

Off topic, what coolers are they using in that case?!?!

djdarko321

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
thatd be gr8 for audio samples and the go. less latencies between ur DAW or VDJ workstation and audio files when going mobile. but any audio or video person knows that having your samples on another drive (especially faster as another SSD) greatly helps

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Are you really going to store movies and music on an SSD? Even if you did, would you need that kind of speed?

I would think the benefiet would be more for installing intensive programs CADD, photoshop ect on something like a labtop that can only contain 1 drive, So lets say your main is a SSD already but your size requirements arnt large, but u run alot of intensive programs..

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Computer_Lots[/nom]Anybody else think it's weird that they're using a giant RAM cooler and a cheap old stock cooler for the CPU?[/citation]
It's Kingston

You know, the "memory" company.

rollerdisco

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]I'm not sure I see the point, to be honest. SSDs are great for boot drives and often used programs, but to use them for "storage" beyond that just isn't cost effective.Are you really going to store movies and music on an SSD? Even if you did, would you need that kind of speed?What use is a smaller, faster external drive?[/citation]
I like this, because you could take your drive with you, and then the computer will not boot up. great computer security!!

clist

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]I'm not sure I see the point, to be honest. SSDs are great for boot drives and often used programs, but to use them for "storage" beyond that just isn't cost effective.Are you really going to store movies and music on an SSD? Even if you did, would you need that kind of speed?What use is a smaller, faster external drive?[/citation]

Two words: Virtual Machines

My VMs run as fast on my laptop with an SSD than they do on my desktop with a regular HD - even though the CPU on the desktop blows the laptop away. Additionally, if you're a developer-on-the-go, being able to easily move your whole workspace, email, development tools, documents, etc around from machine to machine (as long as the machine has VMWare installed) kicks ass.

Now if only someone would just put USB3 ports on a laptop that has a decent display and doesn't look/feel like a PoS I'd be able to upgrade my laptop, get one of these drives, and stop copying my VHD snapshot-files back and forth... Thought Dell was going to put USB3 on this year's Covet, but apparently that's not the case...

Cheers,
CList

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Very nice, why the horrible "blue" 4k performance, can do that with a usb2 sata and old hard drive.
Surely this is not a micro sd card so 4k should be minm 80MB/s at least.

512k ?
My XP64 sp2 can go max 64k and have to have 64k minm for OCZ ssd to get it up to rated speed.

Don't tell me to downgrade to Vista or Win7 as the performance knock is not worth the partial speed gained using larger 256k / 512k on I7c-930.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]WarraWarra[/nom]Very nice, why the horrible "blue" 4k performance, can do that with a usb2 sata and old hard drive.Surely this is not a micro sd card so 4k should be minm 80MB/s at least. 512k ? My XP64 sp2 can go max 64k and have to have 64k minm for OCZ ssd to get it up to rated speed.Don't tell me to downgrade to Vista or Win7 as the performance knock is not worth the partial speed gained using larger 256k / 512k on I7c-930.[/citation]
Can anyone comprehend this?

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I think HDD's will last many years to come with SSD's being the slightly more expensive alternative (Mind you, I said slightly because I'm talking about future prospects). Least they manage to bring down the prices of SSD's to something decent when comparing them to HDD's. Sure SSD's do have greater performance aspects but for them to really pick up, they'd need to beat current HDD prices because let's face it, the average Joe is just going to go for something that's cheap, an even bigger thing is that 3/4's of computer users just buy off the shelf ready made computer that's cheap. SSD's don't come cheap so for now HDD's will stay strong for a while.

Either way, I'm not going to get my hopes up that the price would be something I'd pay for when I'd probably manage x2 the storage at the same price if not less.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]I'm not sure I see the point, to be honest. SSDs are great for boot drives and often used programs, but to use them for "storage" beyond that just isn't cost effective.[/citation]Why couldn't you boot off an external drive? I've been doing that for over a year.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]hiniberus[/nom]I think HDD's will last many years to come with SSD's being the slightly more expensive alternative (Mind you, I said slightly because I'm talking about future prospects). Least they manage to bring down the prices of SSD's to something decent when comparing them to HDD's. Sure SSD's do have greater performance aspects but for them to really pick up, they'd need to beat current HDD prices because let's face it, the average Joe is just going to go for something that's cheap, an even bigger thing is that 3/4's of computer users just buy off the shelf ready made computer that's cheap. SSD's don't come cheap so for now HDD's will stay strong for a while.Either way, I'm not going to get my hopes up that the price would be something I'd pay for when I'd probably manage x2 the storage at the same price if not less.[/citation]
agreed. i can play lossless blu ray movies on my 1TB HDD, there's no reason to buy a much more expensive SSD for storage purposes. i think what will happen (already is happening) is SSDs in the 128-256 GB range will the standard boot/software drive paired with a 2-3TB HDD for storage. though i wouldn't be surprised to see 1TB SSDs for professional/industrial purposes.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
So it's a large form factor USB Flash drive. The device itself looks good but it isn't the kind of progress I'm hoping to see at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.