Kinguin Windows 10 key

Status
Not open for further replies.

PyroC

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
Recently bought a windows key from Kinguin for Windows 10 Pro. After installing Windows into my new PC I plugged in the product key and it didn't work. I talked to customer service from Kinguin but it was clear he didn't speak English as his primary language so it created a small language barrier between us. I was "told" to click "Don't have a product key" and to click Windows 10 Pro from there... After that, I found a way to insert my key after but it said I required the internet so after a couple hours I got the internet running to my PC and then it said my key was used. I was sure maybe it automatically used the key I put in but it says "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key" Can I get some help for what to do next? (Starting to think buying from Kinguin was a bad idea.)

Solution
Yep buying a cheap key from a grey market wasn't a good idea. The problem with these sites is that many to most of the keys are either ones that were not meant to be resold, bought using stolen credit cards, created with a key gen, or one key is sold multiple times.

Since they are not a valid Microsoft reseller Microsoft won't do anything.

Bout your only option if Kinguin wont refund or replace is to write it off as a learning experience and buy a key from a legit source.

bignastyid

Titan
Yep buying a cheap key from a grey market wasn't a good idea. The problem with these sites is that many to most of the keys are either ones that were not meant to be resold, bought using stolen credit cards, created with a key gen, or one key is sold multiple times.

Since they are not a valid Microsoft reseller Microsoft won't do anything.

Bout your only option if Kinguin wont refund or replace is to write it off as a learning experience and buy a key from a legit source.

Solution
There is a reason keys are cheap from these places and you have found out why. I wouldn't use such sites but from what I have read you are unlikely to get your money back, they most likely will just send you another key which may or may not work but is going to be a grey market key that could be deactivated in the future.

USAFRet

Titan
Cut to the relevant parts...

Yes, this is what often happens.
At best, they'll give you another 'key' that they magically have. Which may or may not result in the same condition.

Time to cut your losses and purchase a valid one.

Although I hate to admit here on this forum, I have bought a few Windows 10 Pro keys from Kinguin. I have had zero problems because;

1. They are guaranteed to work.
2. When I did run into a problem I just got on the phone to Microsoft and let them install it for me.

Like I said, I really hate to tell my friends here at this forum that I have actually used Kinguin to buy a few Windows 10 Pro keys, but they are all 100% guaranteed, and Microsoft has a fantastic support team to help you with any problem.

I bought a brand spanking new Audi from Chevrolet. The Audi turned out to not be genuine.

When you want genuine M$ products you purchase directly from M$. I did so I purchased a genuine M$ disk. $89 and everything's going good.

Just do some research first. I visited Kinguin. WOW!!!! That's cheap. Almost too good to be true. Hmmm. Let's check Tom's. I enter Kinguin and WIndows 10. I see http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3241510/buy-windows-key-kinguin.html and many other forum questions. I decide to purchase the legit disk through Amazon.

Jul 9, 2018
So I decided to take a chance and purchase 1 to try from Kinguin. It wouldn't activate so I called Microsoft and they told me that it is a valid key but it's for downgrading from Pro to Home and cannot be used to activate a Windows 10 Pro install.

I also bought the protection when I checked out, but now when I go to create a support ticket they are asking me for proof that it's invalid. The instructions say to go to Live Chat and take a screenshot that it's invalid but I can only get the option to call an agent...

USAFRet

Titan

If you have to pay extra "protection money"...what does that tell you?

USAFRet

Titan

So you didn't actually " purchase 1 to try from Kinguin".
You bought something from "some dude".
And it doesn't work as you expected.
And they won't stand behind the transaction, and are forcing you to jump through major hoops.

If that's not the very definition of "shady", I don't know what is.

Jul 9, 2018
Yea well nobody buys anything directly from Ebay but we still say "I bought this from ebay".

Anyway an update, I don't know why the Microsoft guy said it was a "downgrade key", do those even exist? At any rate he said the key was valid and I told him I bought it on Kinguin. I downloaded a fresh iso and had to use a custom eid.cfg to bypass the laptops burned-in stuff. It activated via phone system and is now working fine.

Also Kinguin responded to my ticket after a couple hours and gave me other things to do since I couldn't get the chat to go on. Seller protection gives your support tickets priority apparently so it's worth the extra $5. $35 total for a valid key, I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.