Kiss Flash Player Support Goodbye in Android 4.1 Jelly Bean

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidster3001

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Why is this a surprise? Last year Adobe said the ICS version of the Flash plugin was the last mobile version they would ever make. Did everyone think it was just "wink-wink, only kidding"?

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Really, what's the big deal. Flash may be ubiquitous today, but as support dries up, every flash site will move to HTML5 out of necessity. It isn't like there's going to be millions of users out there who can't access flash web sites. Those sites simply won't be flash anymore.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
This will kill Flash on the desktop as well. Every site that can move to HTML5 will do so, and those that don't will become increasingly irrelevant.

Of course there's those couple of hundred million that play Zynga games but Zynga will eventually move to HTML5 as well.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]Who needs Flash on phones anyway? I'll be glad when it dies altogether.[/citation]
AMEN!

It is against my religion to allow flash on my pc - can't die soon enough for me

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
The latest flash upgrade for PC's stinks anyway. Constantly crashing and restarting. So HTML5 will be a welcome replacement even on the desktop.

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Seems Adobe is doing well enough to kill their own product off without the help of html 5 devs. There has to be a marketing twist here somewhere I'm not seeing.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I never really had problems in Opera or Firefox. Ok, maybe a few in Opera, but that was happening like 4 years ago. So Flash is rock stable for me.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
So this is when using ANY browser? Like skyfire/dolphin/firefox? or just the one that comes with android?

I use flash daily. I have no idea why everybody is against it... sure, it eats the battery but I still get hours of video on flash websites. (GSII)

I think it is stupid to support Flash on PC and not support it on mobile devices because then you end up with 2 incompatible sides of the internet.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]lemlo[/nom]Seems Adobe is doing well enough to kill their own product off without the help of html 5 devs. There has to be a marketing twist here somewhere I'm not seeing.[/citation]
They're already doing it with Adobe Edge: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/edge/ - which they've been working on for about a year or so, according to Wikipedia. Like rats, they can smell when the ship is about to sink.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Love it or hate it, Flash has played a huge role in the history of the internet. Because of the drop of flash support on mobile devices however this is going to be pain for websites to have to make mobile versions that do not rely on flash if they currently heavily do.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
This not only effects phones but tablets,media streamers,e-books, even desktops if you have noticed many games on sites like pogo stopped working and now flash is more unstable as ever it's going downhill fast firefox 13+flash 11.3 =crash on desktops!.
I hope flash just dies and html5 takes over since it becomes more unstable with every build.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
P.S A smooth interface is a "Feature" of Jellybean 4.1

ROFL - on a quad core phone....

If a quad core phone has to have Android's code massaged to have a smooth interface then Flash is going to rape the battery life...

/Sarcasm

If you cannot use flash player, browsing the internet become difficult, buggy and frustrating. Try accessing your hotmail account without a flash player installed... good luck and be ready to swear a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS