Klevv Cras 16GB DDR4-3000 Memory Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's still the same latency as 1500 at 8-9-9-18. Not great but a good starting point. And you can't put DDR3 on DDR4 motherboards.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I think his point was that X79 still has a heck of a lot going for it. That's why I
built an X79 system for my next gaming PC, hunting for top-end used parts:
ASUS R4E, 3930K C2 (4.8GHz), H80, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (new, but normal
auction), Thermaltake Toughpower 1kW, Antec 302, etc. Kicks ass, faster
than builds I've seen in X99 reviews, very quiet, and I saved loads vs. a new
X99 setup. Oddly enough, the only things I bothered buying totally new were
the 16GB TridentX/2400 kit, and of course a GTX 980.

I don't like the 5820K's crippled lanes, DDR4 pricing, the 5960X's low base clock,
the pathetic continued max RAM limit of only 64GB (it's crazy that we've increased
the max cores by a 3rd and yet the max RAM hasn't changed), and the non-existence
of anything really high-end for CPU provision (10+ core). The 8-core should be in the
middle, the 5930K should be the low-end, the top-end should be a 10-core with more
than 40 lanes (for a high price, but worth buying for those who really like to go all-out
with this stuff). For me, what Intel has done with the PCIe lane crippling basically
breaks the whole point of a high-end platform. X99 doesn't feel top-end in the way
that X58 did when that was new. Every time I come across mbd blurb about storage
option & multi-GPU restrictions if one is using a 5820K, I just get a headache and think
what the hell was Intel thinking...

IMO Intel messed up with X99. It doesn't offer enough over X79 to tempt those
with the money to burn who already have either top-end X58/Z68/X79 builds or
who want to go for something much better than they had before.

Ian.

stevenrix

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Some people don't seem to get it in here. DDR4 is inevitable, hence all we get is 8 Gb modules, worse case, or memory with more speed. I want 16Gb DDR-4 modules to be mainstream, we already have 16 and 32Gb sticks on servers, they need to make the bridge for desktop/laptop segmentation. I've been running 64Gb of RAM on DDR-3 for a while now (3 years now I believe) and I won't take the plunge until I see some decent technological innovations. That might take a while, probably next year.

The problem is market demand.... most peeps who are going X99 just don't need 64 GB. Until they do, and are willing to pay for the setup of new production lines and the lack of economies of scale for small quantities sold, there's just no financial incentive to "go there".

"If you build it they will come" is a nice movie line, but the real world corollary is "If you go and build it, will enough come to make it profitable"

Eggz

Distinguished

This explanation describes a bit of a of a mouse chase, no? I don't know if - between demand and supply - one has to drive the other entirely as you describe; namely, demand driving supply. Think about it. Saying "if people want it, it will be available," makes you wonder . . . "Well then, where is it?"

To be more concrete, there are obviously people who want (and can actually use) 8 Hyperthreaded cores with 64 GB of RAM to toss around. Anyone who has to render complex files can fall in that category. That doesn't mean you're wrong by any means, though. I think it's more that demand and supply of these things play off of each other.

Well I didn't plan to spill the beans for another 3 days, but I'm just starting to plan out my next build using 60 core Knight's Landing CPU. It has 16GB on board so to max out memory, I'll need (24) 16 GB sticks. Also planning on using one as a co-processor, will be the first one I have had since the 8087 in the 80s. Gonna write to 6 companies when 16Gb sticks come out and ask them to send a 4 -pack to Crash.... when he's done, will stick all 6 sets in the build and see if they compatible. How many fps ya think I'll get in Minecraft ?

I was gonna say Range Rover. I remember when the new one came out in the heart of the mortgage fraud recession and unemployment was in the stratosphere, and the only cars selling were cheap used ones. They new Range Rover "sold out" before the first one hit our shores.

I think sales musta been done via www.onepercenter.com

I was thinking of building a X79 build for my college workstation.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Hurry, Intel is RUNNING AWAY from X79 and the best boards are disappearing.

I won't have the money till June or July so I might not have enough time.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Well, I guess there's always those venders whose high prices allowed them to retain some stock. Or fleeeebay.

How about a Alienware 17 with GPU amplifier. I was planning to get the I7-4980HQ version in june/july with a GTX 980 on the side(or 295x), so AMP at the dorm and laptop on the go for college and gaming while im on breaks.

logainofhades

Titan

Almost nobody needs the extra PCI-E lanes, and the 5820k is significantly cheaper than a 4930k, which easily makes up for the ram cost differences.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($559.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 LE ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($106.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $886.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-02 17:16 EDT-0400

vs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($372.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($214.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($167.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $755.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-02 17:16 EDT-0400

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Guys, you can do 3-way SLI on the 5820k plus have a PCIe 3.0 SSD simultaneously, at least on most MSI boards. The CPU's lane restrictions were only half the problem, the rest was about motherboard design.

Eggz

Distinguished
DDR4's dumb only as an upgrade from x79 to x99. But buying new, of course it's the way to go if you're deciding between current- and last-generation enthusiast platforms.

logainofhades

Titan

I could save even more than that, and still be plenty gaming capable. A 4930k is a bad buy compared to a 5820k, and that was all I was wanting to point out.

logainofhades

Titan

I agree that X79 to X99 is pretty dumb. It would be as dumb as me going from my 3570k to a 4690k.

I got my mind stuck in the other thread about X99 with 1 or 2 cards :)....

I recognize that the 5820k gives ya the 3rd card ..... I can just about see it at 4k or 5760 x 1080, but I'm not sold. "On paper" ya get the 3rd card, but given 3 / 4 way performance this go around .... the question is:

Is it worth $850 for 4% (129.3 / 123.5) gain (1080p) .... little more at 1440p .... even 4k UI seems a bit disappointing at 19% (62/52) ? And that's with a overclocked 5960x which does give ya a bit more oomph and lanes ( x16/ x16/ x8 versus x8/ x8/ x8)

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5623/10/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-sli--3-way-sli--4-way-sli-review-benchmarks-hardwareinfo-gpu-performance-score-20142015

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right, but you know Intel is phasing this stuff out. At the rate motherboards stocks are disappearing, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they weren't shipping X79 any longer. I didn't say they stopped shipping, I just wouldn't be surprised if they had.

I was speaking to the entire platform (X79/X99) ... and I agree.... never buy old platforms. I had two users come to me with 1156 builds upon which they had installed Hyper 212s. In one case the MoBo was actually cracked, the other my guess was circuit traces were broken.

Send them in under RMA ... both were deemed suitable for replacement under warranty.... and the did send me new boards, but 1155 boards. They didn't send compatible CPUs tho :)

Status
Not open for further replies.