[SOLVED] KMode exception not handled BSOD loop

LordHenryVonHenry

Prominent
Jan 15, 2020
After a windows cumulative update my computer has gone into an endless cycle of kmode exception not handled BSOD's and occasionally page fault in non paged area BSOD.
I can load it up in safe mode and from there I have attempted all default recovery options, reinstalling drivers, SFC scannow, etc.
I am close to the stage of giving up and reinstalling windows but I've had this computer a long time and as such there are lots of applications I do not wish to lose.
I have been trying what other parts of the internet suggest and trying to "upgrade to Windows 10" and hence not lose applications, but been getting errors primarily due to "pending changes requiring restart" as far as I can tell.
I apparently have no system restore points even though I know for a fact I have made some previously, any suggestions before I give up are welcome.

I also did the rather rash decision of uninstalling the cumulative updates it would let me, and then uninstalling the security update it would not let me by manually changing the mum files from permanent to removable.

Any suggestions are welcome, relatively desperate at this point.
Thanks

Currently Windows 10.
Nvidia RTX 2060
Intel I7 - 3970X @3.5ghz

Colif

Win 11 Master
1. Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Automatic Memory Dump - Have Windows Create an Automatic Memory Dump on BSOD

that creates a new Memory.dmp file after the next BSOD (found on root directory of C)
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

You might be able to do that from safe mode

You can't install drivers in safe mode

also did the rather rash decision of uninstalling the cumulative updates it would let me, and then uninstalling the security update it would not let me by manually changing the mum files from permanent to removable.

that doesn't sound useful.

LordHenryVonHenry

Prominent
Jan 15, 2020
1. Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Automatic Memory Dump - Have Windows Create an Automatic Memory Dump on BSOD

that creates a new Memory.dmp file after the next BSOD (found on root directory of C)
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

You might be able to do that from safe mode

You can't install drivers in safe mode

that doesn't sound useful.
Yeah I thought I'd try doing it given it was listed as a reasonable solution on a few sites, but didn't really expect it to make much difference.

Automatic memory dumb attached below
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmYnRK9MGNxzgaQhwluaxk18T_agbQ
Thanks

LordHenryVonHenry

Prominent
Jan 15, 2020
I'm not sure why but this forum doesn't let me use gyazo links of Blue Screen View, so I guess I will just explain.
All of the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED have "Caused by driver ArcCtrl.sys" at address "ntoskrnl.exe+1bc810" whereas the page faults are "Caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe"
My presumption is as ntoskrnl.exe is a windows kernel my focus should be on the ArcCtrl.sys?

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I hope you have the problem fixed. If not, upload minidumps from the C:\Windows\minidumps folder for new crashes.

The memory.dmp was too corrupt to read, but it did point out the ArcCtrl.sys file as you mentioned.

File information:MEMORY.DMP (Jan 15 2020 - 04:54:44)
Bugcheck:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)
Probably caused by:ArcCtrl.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

LordHenryVonHenry

Prominent
Jan 15, 2020
I no longer have been getting blue screens, however a couple of days or so later after a restart my audio has stopped working, (it was working fine directly after solving but it seems unlikely to be a coincidence.)
It shows as no output device installed, speaker setup unknown.
Playback and recording devices are both empty lists (and yes I have disabled devices shown).
Tried reinstalling audio drivers manually, no effect.
Also worth noting windows updater is currently complaining it is missing important security and quality fixes, but check for updates yields no results.
I have also attempted to uninstall the previous update, I did so, then reinstalled it, but it is still complaining it is missing fixes and the audio problem persists. (Most recent being 2020-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 (KB4532938)
Only other recent windows update showing is KB4524569 security update, which isn't a removable update.
I do believe my graphics drivers are also occasionally crashing and restarting, as the screen has been going entirely black maybe every half an hour or so, then slowly everything reappears.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
What motherboard do you have?

can you right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1909 - both those updates are for 1903 & 1909 so its hard to tell.

if you on 1909, you may want to try a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html - all it does is replaces windows and any cumulative updates which are not many since it was released.

Solution