Kmode exception not handled

ik3674

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Hello

I'd like to apologize in advance because my windows version isn't in english, so some translations might be wrong.

Today I was playing and, without any notice, the game crashed to desktop and, few seconds later, a blue screen appeared with the line "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED".

From that moment the pc would just reboot over and over, sometimes it would boot to desktop, some other times the windows repair utilty would pop up. The error message would also change the few times it would boot to desktop.
At no times I was able to do anything except for the commands in the windows utilty.

There, I tried to run cmd to sfc /scannow but, even if the prompt was run as admin the operation was blocked. The option /verifyonly was available and found errors.

Rebooting in safe mode didn't work and neither did any other option.

At that point I decided to reinstall the os from the usb boot drive, first trying to override the previous installation while keeping my files. It didn't help.
I tried to make it delete everything to have a fresh install, the procedure was apparently completed but this didn't help either.

I repeated the second procedure a couple more times manually formatting the drives and restored the motherboard factory default (which I never touched). It didn't help.

At the moment, on the fresh os installation, I'm still getting the blue screen usually with the "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED", sometimes I got "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON-PAGED_AREA" or "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION"

I don't have the slightest clue on what to do, I hope someone can help me.

Thanks a lot.

Solution
you keep getting data errors, only so many things can be the cause. its not the installers as you have used a few

when you ran memtest, did you do it one stick at a time?

do you have another drive you can install onto? If it works then its the ssd, if it doesn't, it means its not ssd.

what make/model is your power supply? what voltages show for it in bios?

the CPU can be tested using: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool
motherboard is the last step as its hardest to test.
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to the graphics card.
- Once completely uninstalled, download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer site. (AMD or Nvidia)
- Reboot the PC once the latest driver has been installed.
- If the same problem will persist, do run a test with the RAM's.
- Here's a software you can use to test the RAM.
- http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm
- Do also check for any BIOS update that may also help.

ik3674

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Sorry if I haven't clarified this but, since the first crash, and even after formatting the hd and reinstalling the os, I'm unable to boot to desktop at all.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What are the specs of the pc

what make/model is your motherboard? Are you sure its booting off the installer?some motherboards are a pain to get to boot from USB, so you may just be loading win 10 each time.

two of the errors sound like drivers but one - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON-PAGED_AREA - could be your hard drive or ram too.

you could run that ram test without windows, it creates a bootable usb to test with... course, you need another pc to make it with.

ik3674

Commendable
May 19, 2016
The specs are:

MB ASRock H170M Pro4
Cpu Intel i5-6500
Gpu Sapphire R9 380 Nitro
SSD Samsung EVO 250gb
RAM Crucial DDR4 2x4gb

I'm certain its booting off the usb, the interface's really user friendly and the os installation always gets completed. Then the pc reboots and I either remove the usb drive/change bios boot priority or leave it as it is: the former would lead me to the same error (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) and continuos reboots would result in the aforementioned errors; the latter would boot the windows installation wizard again.

I'll test the RAM with the method you suggested and report the results.

Thank you

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you got latest bios? http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H170M%20Pro4/index.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS

most of the fixes for that error rely on the person having windows in first place.

The CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bug check has a value of 0x000000EF. This indicates that a critical system process died. << so helpful :)
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560358%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

try this
boot from installer
on page after langauge choices, select repair this pc, not install
select troubleshoot
select advanced
select command prompt
type SFC /scannow see if it finds anything.

You hardly had time to do anything so its unlikely it is drivers

its likely to be ram or hdd. No way to test samsung SSD without Windows

ik3674

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Alright, the RAM test reported no errors.
The sfc /scannow once done states "Resource protection could not perform the requested operation"
However if I run sfc /verifyonly the resource protection would find corrupted files.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i read something earlier where sfc finding corrupt files on fresh installs has been reported since win 10 was in beta. But that is usually after its had a chance to install drivers, and in some cases storage devices were to blame.

You can install win 10 without Ethernet cable attached to stop it grabbing new drivers but you can't stop it forever once its installed, and even then I don't think thats the actual cause or it would be more wide spread.

did you do BIOS as it is one of the solutions listed on that Microsoft page.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was thinking out loud when I said you could install without Ethernet, I didn't expect you to do it.. sorry about that. I should stop thinking out loud.

i think there only two sources of corrupted data left, ssd and CPU. Samsung make it hard to test their drives outside of windows (ok, impossible) and CPU generally don't fail, so I am scratching my head as to why.

You aren't overclocked I assume, is ram in an XMP profile (if you don't know what xmp is I can only assume it isn't)

have you added any new hardware recently?

ik3674

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Soo..it's alright that you think out loud, I'm at the point of desperation where I'm willing to try anything and every attempt keeps me a little bit positive.
No hardware was added, the computer was assembled dec 2015 and have never been opened again.
As you suggested, I have no clue what XMP is. I haven't overclocked.

A friend suggested to remove the bios battery, let it rest 5 minutes and then do fresh os installs while keeping one RAM out, then repeating with the other RAM. Didn't help.
Then I tried to install win 8.1 pro from a bootable usb, same blue screen has reported two other errors: "attempted_execute_of_noexecute_memory" and "system_service_exception" (I'm unsure if it had "not_handled" at the end, can't remember).

Would trying Linux be a viable option?

Also, I haven't mentioned it because I don't think it matters, but the first crash happened while I was plugging a microphone jack. Everytime I've got a game running and I plug a jack the pc freezes and I have to force a reboot, but after that it runs flawlessly.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you keep getting data errors, only so many things can be the cause. its not the installers as you have used a few

when you ran memtest, did you do it one stick at a time?

do you have another drive you can install onto? If it works then its the ssd, if it doesn't, it means its not ssd.

what make/model is your power supply? what voltages show for it in bios?

the CPU can be tested using: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool
motherboard is the last step as its hardest to test.

Solution

ik3674

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Both sticks were tested at the same time. I have another drive but it's a usb external one that won't allow me to install windows onto.
PSU's xfx 550W.
I've got the following voltages (don't really know which one's needed)

- CPU Vcore Voltage +1.056V
- DRAM Voltage +1.216V
- DRAM VPP Voltage +2.560V
- PCH +1.0 Voltage +1.008V
- VCCIO Voltage +0.952V
- VCCSA Voltage +1.064V
+12.00V +12.096V
+5.00V +5.088V
+3.30V +3.392V

Is the tool viable for my CPU? There's not the exact one I have in the list.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wouldn't bother with the CPU tests, its very rarely the CPU. Your power seems fine

I think its got to stage where you should take pc to a store and get them to figure out the cause. You don't have any spare parts to swap in to find the cause that way. Give it to professionals and it will be fixed much faster than us trying to test it. Let them work out the cause and they can also arrange replacements at same time.

ik3674

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Alright, I'll see if I can find someone who can lend me a hard drive so that I can test that. Thank you so far, I will post updates or whatever has caused the issue as soon as I can.

ik3674

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Ok, for everyone who might care, the problem has been sorted out by the shop I purchased the pc from.
I talked to them prior to shipping the computer back and, after explaining the technician the issue and the tests I ran, his opinion, since the errors encountered would frequently vary, was that it was cpu failure (this issue has been encountered with other skylakes cpus, he told me).
Tests confirmed.

Thanks everyone.