Know if You're Ready for Windows 7? Now You Can

Status
Not open for further replies.

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Windows 7 is all the rage recently, and rightly so. The soon to be released operating system is considered to be what Windows Vista should have been.Know if You're Ready for Windows 7? Now You Can : Read more[/citation]

This is really annoying

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
who would have only a 1.2 ghz processor but 2.75 Gb of ram?

the guy with the 1.2 processor probably only has a 100 Gb harddrive as well. forget aero.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]Windows 7 may work with older hardware, but Flash 10 certainly won't. I hate Adobe.[/citation]
Why wouldn't it work? It works fine for me.

krazyderek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
i just hope they fixed the "network printer" option for adding a printer in vista which randomly stops working one day and requires users to add a network printer using the local method...

cyber_smity

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
I'm a user that more interested in security than the user experience, and therefore before upgrading to the Windows 7 RC I've been watching forums and posts regarding bugs and security holes. Isn't that the purpose of a RC, to get the feedback from all the users on bugs and flaws? So far the following worries me:
http://www.pretentiousname.com/misc/win7_uac_whitelist2.html
Is there a place we can all go to monitor user feedback and bug reports on Windows 7? Or do we have to keep searching them out?

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
[citation][nom]krazyderek[/nom]i just hope they fixed the "network printer" option for adding a printer in vista which randomly stops working one day and requires users to add a network printer using the local method...[/citation]

I have a Brother network printer that has been working flawlessly between 2 computers one running Win 7 x64 and the other running Win 7 x86 (32-bit). It worked flawlessly through all the beta builds I ran, and it is working flawlessly with the RC.

G

I installed Windows 7 RC 7100 64-bit yesterday and found it installs easily and runs very well on my two-year-old PC. Odd that my Audigy 2 card is not supported, nor does Creative plan to release W7 drivers for it. Audigy Vista drivers will not install on W7.
Media Center is a very nice app, though without a working audio card it won't allow for watching TV on my TV tuner card. The Leadtek tuner card Vista drivers do work on W7.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Odd that my Audigy 2 card is not supported, nor does Creative plan to release W7 drivers for it. Audigy Vista drivers will not install on W7.

They should. Go to the properties of the driver install .exe file and make it run in Windows Vista compatibility mode. In my experience almost every device that works under Vista will work under Windows 7 as the driver architecture hasn't changes significantly.

However, be sure to use the Vista drivers and not the XP ones. Trying to install XP drivers on Windows 7 can sometimes lead to serious BSOD issues as the architecture between XP and Vista/7 has changed quite a bit.

talys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
* Looks wistfully at his Microsoft Fingerprint Reader *

I wish they'd write a damned 64 bit driver for it!

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]This is really annoying[/citation]

Yeah...so annoying to have to read the first post that is all of two lines long.

How I wish my life could be so unfettered as to warrant complaining about something so trivial.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]Chances are that if you bought or built a computer within the last five years, you'll be ready.[/citation]

Uh, NO! If the Vista Capable vs. Vista Ready debacle showed us anything, its that most of Intel's chipsets leading up to the Vista release aren't going to work. Unless you don't mind a Windows Experience score of 1 because you can't find drivers for your Intel GPU (and thus no hardware acceleration whatsoever), then I guess Win7 will work fine.

Otherwise, even a P4 2.6GHz w/ 512MB ram and 14GB hdd (primary partition) was enough to intall and run Win7 RC.

eagles453809

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
talys...i think it is kind of funny that microsoft hasnt made 64-bit drivers for the fingerprint reader...kinda funny considering they make the OS....go MS

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Why would you want to upgrade an old PC to Win 7? I am still using XP on my P4 3.0 system (and X800XT video card). All the drivers for the older hardware (like the Audigy 2 card and HP Officejet) work great, and I can't play newer DX 10 games anyway.

I will use Vista, and then Win 7, when I build my next one.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I'll wait for WinGoogleApple 8. Theoretical PR announcement in 2012, "Because all 3 companies don't know how to innovate without terrorizing the competition with unfair business practices, they have decided to merge without FTC approval. Next year WinGoogleApple plans buy Bermuda and Yugoslavia."

G

My Athlon XP 2600+ system is from 2002. I'm sure without aero and themes installed an 800Mhz cpu, win7 will work as well.
1Ghz is just a marker. You'll probably notice a decline in speed below machines equipped with DDR2 RAM, especially when they only support less than 768MB of RAM. Many processors starting from 1Ghz had faster ram. I guess that the RAM factor is more important here than the CPU factor.

when running 7 on a single core @ 1,6Ghz (in a virtual environment)it's still pretty snappy.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Uh, NO! If the Vista Capable vs. Vista Ready debacle showed us anything, its that most of Intel's chipsets leading up to the Vista release aren't going to work. Unless you don't mind a Windows Experience score of 1 because you can't find drivers for your Intel GPU (and thus no hardware acceleration whatsoever), then I guess Win7 will work fine.Otherwise, even a P4 2.6GHz w/ 512MB ram and 14GB hdd (primary partition) was enough to intall and run Win7 RC.[/citation]

You are exactly right...I effing hate how Intel never released a vista driver for my 855gme chipset...which means I cant rotate my tablet screen when using windows 7...if I only was able to get hold of a copy of windows xp tablet edition...

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
So true anamaniac.. This is the best upgrade I've done since WIN ME. It breathed new life into my dieing amd 3200/ati 3850/2gb ram.. While it's still close to dead, it has helped.

Dax corrin

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I just over-wrote my Vista Ultimate 64 partition with the Win7 64 RC. It's much snappier than the Vista and runs everything that Vista did and I was able to upgrade seamlessly without losing any of my Vista settings or programs. Happy so far. Next is the XP VM to see how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.