Kodak Sells Imaging Patents for $525 M to Tech Companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I hear they are moving out of the digital camera business. Personally I think they should try to use their name to it's fullest since it's still associated with cameras and at least put out decent "apps" for android and iOS to try to get a little revenue from that. Things such as far more customization concerning HDR, several photos taken at once, better software for taking pictures, etc. They hopefully still have enough talented people on board to create something worth while.

Right now to my knowledge from a quick glance at wikipedia they seem to be focusing on printing. Something I don't associate them with, or will think "Hay I need a kodak printer" its more of a "Kodak a name brand for cameras I should look at those.".

Kodak had some awesome R&D so im sure these are worth it. Whats sad is their R&D invented the digital camera in 1975 but short sided management sat it on the back burner to sell more film. They would absolutely own the digital camera market if they had just left it up the their engineers.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]I hear they are moving out of the digital camera business. Personally I think they should try to use their name to it's fullest since it's still associated with cameras and at least put out decent "apps" for android and iOS to try to get a little revenue from that. Things such as far more customization concerning HDR, several photos taken at once, better software for taking pictures, etc. They hopefully still have enough talented people on board to create something worth while.Right now to my knowledge from a quick glance at wikipedia they seem to be focusing on printing. Something I don't associate them with, or will think "Hay I need a kodak printer" its more of a "Kodak a name brand for cameras I should look at those.".[/citation]

sadly they took to long to get to market...

what i would like to see though is digital film for slr cameras... i can pick up some old ones for 100-200$ and would be SO much better than many 600-800$ cameras, but you just cant get film for them... or cheap anymore...

so a digital film you put into the camera and than it takes pictures like normal would be a god send.

[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]Kodak had some awesome R&D so im sure these are worth it. Whats sad is their R&D invented the digital camera in 1975 but short sided management sat it on the back burner to sell more film. They would absolutely own the digital camera market if they had just left it up the their engineers.[/citation]

no... they were smart, back than digital film wasnt ANYWHERE near where it needed to be. hell, even when digital came around people only used it because it was cheaper.

digital was horrific for a long time, and film, and until around the 8-12mp cameras was allot higher quality, and for the most part, film is FAR higher quality than most digital cameras (take note im going into slr and dslr range when i say that, not just point and shoot) but digital is a far cheaper and easier option.

the only thing that kodak did wrong was when digital camers finaly came around, they brought nothing to the table, still supporting film over digital. hell, kodak could have stayed out till consumer cameras were 3mp and they would still be around, but now... they offer great cameras for their prices, but everyone else is so much further established, that you can hardly compare offerings.

i would only use a kodak camera as a secondary camera that i dont mind to much if it gets stolen or breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.