Konica Minolta Dimage A2 vs. Olympus C-8080 WZ

After reading several reviews and overlooking features, here are the 2
cameras I'm considering (in no particular order).

1) Olympus C-8080WZ
2) Konika Minolta Dimage A2

By reading reviews from dpreview, dcresource, and imaging resource, it seems
that the Olympus has the best quality, and there were a lot of complaints
about the Minolta. Minolta had Vignetting, not so hot flash performance, not
so hot night exposures, and soft images. The Olympus excelled in just about
every category.

Then, we have the Canon IS S1. It's only 3.2 MP, but it's got great image
stabilization and 30fps movie, but no AF Assist beam. Quality is obviously
not as hot as either of the 8MP, but it's a pretty good feature camera.

The Minolta combines 8MP with the Canon features, and it's only about $30
more than the Olympus.

QUESTIONS
1) How useful is the AF Assist Lamp? How do you live without it?
Objectively, is it better to have one than without?
2) Minolta's Flash was reviewed as too warm or too cold. Its night shots
were too blue with noise reduction, and too dark with it off. It's said to
have pretty moderate vignetting, which is actually noticeable (with a 17%
fall off), and it's supposed to have soft images. To all Minolta A2 users
and users who have tested this camera...is this true?
2a) Have you seen the Olympus C8080 & the Minolta? How much better/worse are
the Olympus photos?
3) The features that I really want (and will use) in a camera are: 30fps
movie (nonlimited is better), >5x zoom, image stabilization. As you can see,
all the features I want are not in the Olympus, but are in the Minolta. On
the other hand, the Olympus did everything better than the Minolta in terms
of quality...especially in the areas that the Minolta had trouble. So what
would you prefer? Featureless quality or FeaturFUL so-so?

-Brian

"Brian Kim" <cyberkill51@comcast.com> wrote in

> After reading several reviews and overlooking features, here are the 2
> cameras I'm considering (in no particular order).
>
> 1) Olympus C-8080WZ
> 2) Konika Minolta Dimage A2
>
> By reading reviews from dpreview, dcresource, and imaging resource, it
> seems that the Olympus has the best quality, and there were a lot of
> complaints about the Minolta. Minolta had Vignetting, not so hot flash
> performance, not so hot night exposures, and soft images. The Olympus
> excelled in just about every category.
>
> Then, we have the Canon IS S1. It's only 3.2 MP, but it's got great
> image stabilization and 30fps movie, but no AF Assist beam. Quality is
> obviously not as hot as either of the 8MP, but it's a pretty good
> feature camera.
>
> The Minolta combines 8MP with the Canon features, and it's only about
> $30 more than the Olympus.
>
> QUESTIONS
> 1) How useful is the AF Assist Lamp? How do you live without it?
> Objectively, is it better to have one than without?
> 2) Minolta's Flash was reviewed as too warm or too cold. Its night
> shots were too blue with noise reduction, and too dark with it off.
> It's said to have pretty moderate vignetting, which is actually
> noticeable (with a 17% fall off), and it's supposed to have soft
> images. To all Minolta A2 users and users who have tested this
> camera...is this true? 2a) Have you seen the Olympus C8080 & the
> Minolta? How much better/worse are the Olympus photos?
> 3) The features that I really want (and will use) in a camera are:
> 30fps movie (nonlimited is better), >5x zoom, image stabilization. As
> you can see, all the features I want are not in the Olympus, but are
> in the Minolta. On the other hand, the Olympus did everything better
> than the Minolta in terms of quality...especially in the areas that
> the Minolta had trouble. So what would you prefer? Featureless quality
> or FeaturFUL so-so?
>
> -Brian

I'm at the same point. I've decided to go with the Olympus. For me it all
boils down to image quality and the Oly has it over the Minolta. Yes, I
like a lot of the features in the Minolta...anti-stab...hi-rez
EVF...etc..but the most important thing for me is image quality. I've
seen shots posted and printed from both and the Oly is much better than
the Minolta. I posted the following to Minolta tech with the response:

Question is : Will there be a firmware/software update to correct image
quality problems including `disappointing resolution, soft images (not
just as a result of poor AF) - Auto focus confirmation despite being out
of focus - Flash color cast, under exposure - noticeable amount of noise
present in the darker areas of exposures even at ISO 100.` Thank you.

Answer is : Currently a firmware upgrade is not available for the Dimage
A2."

Buydig.com has the Oly 8080 for $763, a reasonable price. I've ordered
from them before.

L.

TRENDING THREADS