[SOLVED] KVM Solution For Sharing Video Over Network?

ThePieMonster

Distinguished
May 18, 2016
I have a desktop that I would like to share the dual monitor video source to another computer on the same network. I can not install software on the machine that I want to share video from.

I figured a KVM with a few HDMI inputs would be a good solution, I would like to have a keyboard and mouse be used as a input as well to communicate with the computer that is sharing the video.

Anyone know of any exact products that would fit this solution?

Solution
It all depends on what you mean "network"

Your first thing to consider is how high a resolution you want to obtain. You have to remember that things like HDMI 2 can pass 18gbit which is extremely fast compared to data network rates.

You will find 2 general types of solutions. The simple ones just use the physical ethernet cables but they do not actually use your network. You must have a dedicated wire or maybe even 2 cables for faster systems. These in effect put the raw HDMI signal on the ethernet wires. The distance is somewhat limited.

The other one is actually running the video over a true data network. This removes most the distance limit, it can actually run over the internet in some cases. The problem is you...

Your first thing to consider is how high a resolution you want to obtain. You have to remember that things like HDMI 2 can pass 18gbit which is extremely fast compared to data network rates.

You will find 2 general types of solutions. The simple ones just use the physical ethernet cables but they do not actually use your network. You must have a dedicated wire or maybe even 2 cables for faster systems. These in effect put the raw HDMI signal on the ethernet wires. The distance is somewhat limited.

The other one is actually running the video over a true data network. This removes most the distance limit, it can actually run over the internet in some cases. The problem is you still have the massive data rates of HDMI to deal with. What these systems do is capture and then compress the data. You will lose a lot of quality trying to cram the signal even into a full gigabit network connection. Kinda why even netflix 4k does not compare to blueray. In addition to the quality drop there also is a considerable delay introduced. It will be extremely hard to say play a video shooter type game with the extra delay. Most other applications are more tolerant of this issue but you will notice it even in very simple things like how long it takes for the mouse to respond when you move it.

Solution

ThePieMonster

Distinguished
May 18, 2016

The other one is actually running the video over a true data network. This removes most the distance limit, it can actually run over the internet in some cases. The problem is you still have the massive data rates of HDMI to deal with. What these systems do is capture and then compress the data. You will lose a lot of quality trying to cram the signal even into a full gigabit network connection. Kinda why even netflix 4k does not compare to blueray. In addition to the quality drop there also is a considerable delay introduced. It will be extremely hard to say play a video shooter type game with the extra delay. Most other applications are more tolerant of this issue but you will notice it even in very simple things like how long it takes for the mouse to respond when you move it.

In my specific case, it would have to send a signal over a data network. There is option to run ethernet cables at this time. Luckily, it just needs to support some still images here and there so running high quality isn't something that will be done. Would be interested to see if there are any demo's of products you have in mind that would fit this solution. Also what the mouse lag might be like. Thanks!

Hard to say which is best the technology gets better all the time it seems. The ones linked by alabalcho look quite impressive for the price. I have never tried that brand or even 4k over network.
If you look around amazon this is the type of device you want. You will see others that are simple device that directly connect with wire those are the kind you do not want.

The only things that really bothers me like many things I see on amazon. The device claims to support lossless data transfer at 4k 30 frames 4:4:4. This takes almost 9gbit/sec but it only has 1gbit ethernet ports. So how can it possibly do what they say in addition to passing the HDMI audio as well as the small amount of mouse and keyboard.
Even 1080p at 30 frames takes over 1gbit. There must be some fine print that explains how they can do magic like this and pass more data that the port allows.

Not sure if say the ones that cost $500 are actually better.

The mouse lag only really matters in games. It is very small just enough so you can notice it. You kinda become use to it.

TRENDING THREADS