KVM Switch Advice (3 monitors - 2 computers - Keyboard - Mouse)

Zachary Ferch

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new to KVM Switches and I'm just wondering what the easiest way would be for my desired setup. Right now I have 3 monitors, 2 of them are connected to my gaming PC and 1 is connected to my laptop. I don't like having 2 keyboards and mice to control both PC's so the solution I think is KVM switches.

If possible,
--Switch the keyboard+mouse without monitor changes
--Use of all 3 monitors for one PC, along with speakers and a usb amp for my headphones

I'm assuming I would need 2 separate switches, is that right? Do you guys have any recommendations for decent quality kvm switches that aren't too expensive?

My PC (PCPartPicker)

Monitor Outputs:
(1) BenQ Monitor:
-2 HDMI
-1 DVI
-1 VGA
(2) Gateway Monitor:
-1 DVI
-1 VGA
(3) ViewSonic Monitor:
-1 HDMI
-1 DVI
-1 VGA
PC Outputs:
-2 DVI
-1 DisplayPort
-1 HDMI
Laptop Outputs:
-HDMI

Hopefully I provided enough information and explained my situation thoroughly :)

Solution
I would use two switches:
- one USB switch for keyboard / mouse
- one HDMI switch for laptop and PC. Use a monitor with speakers / headphones output there, so you will switch sound as well.

Your laptop has single HDMI output only, so I don't see a need for other two monitors to be switched.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I do something similar. Though, it was 3 PCs and one monitor.

However, it's an OLD KVM switch that only handles VGA monitors, so I:

1 - connected each PC to a different input on the monitor
2 - connected all the keyboard and mouse PC outputs to the KVM switch
3 - connected my keyboard and mouse to the KVM switch.

So:
1 - I use the KVM switch to switch which PC the keyboard and mouse are talking to, and
2 - Use the monitor's input select buttons to show me the correct display.

I think in your case, you could do this with a single switch.

1 - hook keyboard, mouse, and both PCs usb ports to the KVM
2 - hook the shared monitor to the KVM
3 - hook the two monitors that the gaming PC would always use directly to the gaming PC

My knowledge of KVM is outdated. The one I have uses USB for keyboard and mouse, and VGA only. It also switches speaker and mic, as long as you're usng the standard 3.5mm cables, though it also serves as a switched USB hub as well. However, KVM switches like these generally ran upward of $200 (mine's a 4-PC switch). I couldn't guess what to recommend that's modern.

I would use two switches:
- one USB switch for keyboard / mouse
- one HDMI switch for laptop and PC. Use a monitor with speakers / headphones output there, so you will switch sound as well.

Your laptop has single HDMI output only, so I don't see a need for other two monitors to be switched.

Solution