Question KVM switch for 3 computers

Feb 29, 2024
Hi All,
Would you recommend any good KVM switch for 3 computers with 2-3 monitors?
I see some switches on Amazon for 2 computers but I realized I will connect a 3rd one and no longer bother with extra keyboard or re-plugging things.

Is there any comparison site for this kind of kit?
Thank you

Ralston18

Titan
Start with a good sketch of the required devices and connections.

Include devices: the 3 computers, 2-3 monitors, ports, plug types, port and plug genders, and the applicable cables to connect everything.

Google "KVM switch diagrams" for some example diagrams that you can refer to.

Key is to plan it all out and have a sense of the literal "big picture" when you start looking for suitable KVM switches.

Reactions: MalcolmKK
Feb 29, 2024
Start with a good sketch of the required devices and connections.

Include devices: the 3 computers, 2-3 monitors, ports, plug types, port and plug genders, and the applicable cables to connect everything.

Google "KVM switch diagrams" for some example diagrams that you can refer to.

Key is to plan it all out and have a sense of the literal "big picture" when you start looking for suitable KVM switches.
I have drawn a sample diagram.
https://ibb.co/NL6Vxv0

I think I am going to go for 2 monitors only as I can see most KVM switches are for 2 monitors. I would prefer 4 monitors rather than 3 so I can live with 2 monitors.
All monitors are HDMI, I can see some KVM switches have DP ports instead which is a bit tricky but I have the HDMI2DP adapters.

Ralston18

Titan
Very good. Quite helpful.

Be sure to pay attention to the KVM "switching". Some are manual, some will "detect".

Number and list all of the cables being sure to note cable type and plug gender on both ends of the cable.

Ensure that the gender is a match to the connected component(s).

Easy to mark which cables you have and what cables (if any) will need to be purchased.

Keep in mind the electrical/power cable connections as well.

I also suggest an independently powered USB hub.

One caveat to keep in mind is that you may create some loop:

Device A connected to Device B connected to Device C connected to Device D connected to Device A again.

Loops can be problematic....

There may be other ideas, comments, and suggestions.

Feb 29, 2024
Very good. Quite helpful.

Be sure to pay attention to the KVM "switching". Some are manual, some will "detect".

Number and list all of the cables being sure to note cable type and plug gender on both ends of the cable.

Ensure that the gender is a match to the connected component(s).

Easy to mark which cables you have and what cables (if any) will need to be purchased.

Keep in mind the electrical/power cable connections as well.

I also suggest an independently powered USB hub.

One caveat to keep in mind is that you may create some loop:

Device A connected to Device B connected to Device C connected to Device D connected to Device A again.

Loops can be problematic....

There may be other ideas, comments, and suggestions.
Is there any advantage of the detecting KVM switch over manual KVM switch?
I think I am fine with a manual switch.
Or is this to do with the switch detecting and passing through the correct resolution modes?

I think all the plugs are MALE in this scenario, right?

I think that's how it usually is, I see the KVM switch comes with another box which is a USB switch.

I need about extra 6x HDMI cables MALE to MALE
and about 8x USB-C cables MALE to MALE

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I prefered manual. "Automatic" sometimes can be too "automatic"..... Adds complexity.

As for plugs and gender - one concern would be KVM switches that use proprietary ports/cables just to sell more.

Always check the RMA requirements when purchasing cables. Proprietary or not.

USB switch/hub: again independently powered.