Question KVM Switch Recommendations

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
Hello all! I am looking for a KVM switch for my work laptop to use my two monitors and to be able to switch to the desktop and still use these monitors where needed. I was given a 'docking station' by my work and well, it doesn't let me do this so I'd have to unhook my desktop from my monitors when I want to use the docking station and that's just something I can't do long term. One monitor is HDMI and the other is Display Port. Standard USB on the keyboard and mouse. Just looking for something of good value but I am lost on exactly how to figure out what is or isn't of good value in this PC peripherals area. Brand new to me. Any help would be appreciated!

*Edit: I did do a basic search on this forum and didn't find anything like a list or other resource and google was less than informative.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all! I am looking for a KVM switch for my work laptop to use my two monitors and to be able to switch to the desktop and still use these monitors where needed. I was given a 'docking station' by my work and well, it doesn't let me do this so I'd have to unhook my desktop from my monitors when I want to use the docking station and that's just something I can't do long term. One monitor is HDMI and the other is Display Port. Standard USB on the keyboard and mouse. Just looking for something of good value but I am lost on exactly how to figure out what is or isn't of good value in this PC peripherals area. Brand new to me. Any help would be appreciated!

*Edit: I did do a basic search on this forum and didn't find anything like a list or other resource and google was less than informative.
The first problem you have is that most KVMs assume a single type connection for all video (HDMI, DP, etc). There may be a few that have multiple input/output types, but they will probably be way more expensive.

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
The first problem you have is that most KVMs assume a single type connection for all video (HDMI, DP, etc). There may be a few that have multiple input/output types, but they will probably be way more expensive.
Looking at the docking station I was provided is what prompted me to include the display port information. I have a hodgepodge mix of hardware including monitors. Depending, if there was a significant price increase I'd have to consider just using the one monitor with the laptop as opposed to both or see if the additional cost of a KVM switch that would support both types of monitors justifies going with a cheaper one and replacing the HDMI monitor.