Question KVM Switch Recommendations

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
Hello all! I am looking for a KVM switch for my work laptop to use my two monitors and to be able to switch to the desktop and still use these monitors where needed. I was given a 'docking station' by my work and well, it doesn't let me do this so I'd have to unhook my desktop from my monitors when I want to use the docking station and that's just something I can't do long term. One monitor is HDMI and the other is Display Port. Standard USB on the keyboard and mouse. Just looking for something of good value but I am lost on exactly how to figure out what is or isn't of good value in this PC peripherals area. Brand new to me. Any help would be appreciated!

*Edit: I did do a basic search on this forum and didn't find anything like a list or other resource and google was less than informative.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all! I am looking for a KVM switch for my work laptop to use my two monitors and to be able to switch to the desktop and still use these monitors where needed. I was given a 'docking station' by my work and well, it doesn't let me do this so I'd have to unhook my desktop from my monitors when I want to use the docking station and that's just something I can't do long term. One monitor is HDMI and the other is Display Port. Standard USB on the keyboard and mouse. Just looking for something of good value but I am lost on exactly how to figure out what is or isn't of good value in this PC peripherals area. Brand new to me. Any help would be appreciated!

*Edit: I did do a basic search on this forum and didn't find anything like a list or other resource and google was less than informative.
The first problem you have is that most KVMs assume a single type connection for all video (HDMI, DP, etc). There may be a few that have multiple input/output types, but they will probably be way more expensive.

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
The first problem you have is that most KVMs assume a single type connection for all video (HDMI, DP, etc). There may be a few that have multiple input/output types, but they will probably be way more expensive.
Looking at the docking station I was provided is what prompted me to include the display port information. I have a hodgepodge mix of hardware including monitors. Depending, if there was a significant price increase I'd have to consider just using the one monitor with the laptop as opposed to both or see if the additional cost of a KVM switch that would support both types of monitors justifies going with a cheaper one and replacing the HDMI monitor.

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
Would this work?

I've never used a KVM Switch before. This one has HDMI+DP for PC1/PC2. I'm worried though because if this is like a router I'd need to go from my GPU DP to the KVM DP on PC1 but there would be no DP from PC1 to the monitor. The monitor with the DP does have other ports like HDMI so I suppose I could go from PC-to-KVM using the DP and then from KVM-to-Monitor using HDMI but wouldn't this possibly affect performance?

*Edit - I think this will work. PC has DP/HDMI into PC Input 1 and the laptop has HDMI into PC Input 2, and both Display Ports can use HDMI into the Display 1/2 ports. I think this will work with my setup. Now, is there something else I could use or might be better? Not sure. I've already shelled out the money for this one but there is a return policy I could use if someone here has other suggestions that blow this one out of the water.

Thanks to all!

Last edited: