Question KX-MB781 Fuser Problem?

May 31, 2023
I have a Panasonic KX-MB781 laser printer, lightly used, and appears in good shape. However, a while back it developed a problem. It dribbles towner on the internal glass and on the drum roller. Clean those off (including wiping down the drum with a soft cloth) and it prints beautifully - for about 15 pages. Then it starts getting fuzzy and faded, and hard to read. Further, the pages come out with what appears to be no fusing. That is to say, the print smears with your finger.

Okay, bad fuser, right? Well, maybe not. When first printing, it goes through the expected "warm up" delay. Further, there is an error msg that is supposed to come up if the fuser does not heat to the required temperature. No error. In fact, the printer thinks it is doing just fine. Replaced the drum - no change. About to buy a new fuser (expensive), but with no error msg, I'm frankly not sure that this is actually the problem.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? I hate to throw the printer away, just because it is not new (I am also old, but I still have some good time ahead, I hope). OTOH, I have trouble justifying hundreds of dollars on a fuser and parts that may not be the problem. Thanks.

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
If the issue persists even after cleaning the internal glass and drum roller and replacing the drum, it’s possible that the problem could be with the fuser. However, since there is no error message indicating a problem with the fuser and replacing it can be expensive, it might be a good idea to contact Panasonic support for further assistance before making any additional purchases.

May 31, 2023
After working my way through the maintenance manual (without success), I tried that. All I get from them is that they no longer support that model (undoubtedly true) and have no information on it.

Understandable, but not helpful. {:<(

Anon#1234

Proper
May 30, 2023
We guess its time to get a new printer... It will probably be cheaper than getting a technician or screwing around more with it, your can actually buy printers that come with ink in them to, so try look for those.

TRENDING THREADS