Kyro 2 the killer of nvidia ???

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=red>Nvidia is more scared of the Radeon 2(r200), Radeon 2 MAXX(2chip r200), and the Radeon 3(r300)</font color=red>

Highly doubtfull. Nvidia makes the lion's share of its money on its low end cards Ie. gforce mx and tnt2. Can you say volume? While the high end cards are nice, they do not sell nowhere nearly as much of them. In some regards they serve as advertisemnets to there low end cards. with this in mind it makes Nvidia very wary of KryoII after all it is targeted at the gforce mx market and that is Nvidia's cash cow!

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

first off kryo is cheap it was made cheap with a tweak to make it fast. like over clocking a cpu. and if u want quality stay away from cheap crap kryo and nvidia. nvidia has never had good picture quality. radeon hands down.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.

G

Kyro 2 performs like a dream.
I've had mine since the 17th. I've been playing tweaking and having lots of fun.
Almost no troubles.
Runs great, fast smooth and I can clock at 190!! (200 actually, but I get artifacting then. Replacing heatsink soon.)

"This is my Kyro 2, with which I am well pleased."

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!

G

heh if it dose that at 200 i wonder what it would do at a real clock speed. basicly referbed old junk. why by the car that looks good when you can buy the one that is better. with [-peep-] loads more options.

G

old junk?
lets talk about nvidia 3d cards:

look they have the same core of tnt-1 (with more features) and speed... (HO THAT IS VERY NEW)
geforce is like many tnt-1 side by side...
very modern indeed...

I PLAY UNREAL TOURNAMENT IN 1600x1200x32 with better results than a geforce 2 gts in 1024x768x16...
AND I AM NOT KIDDING...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by powervr2 on 05/24/01 03:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
GeForce, tnt core? what the hell are you talking about?

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

G

Sounds like a loyalties war starting again. Just like AMD and Intel.

I agree. I wish it had some more features, such as Hardware T&L and support for DX8. But why pay $300 for performance you can get with $150? And yes, some areas the Kyro doesn't come out well. But lets look at some facts here:

Real world situations:
My friend has got a Geforce 2 GTS from Hercules. Nice card. Has TV out. :)
He and I are getting nearly the same frame rates on all we play. And in UT I'm wiping the floor. Something like Quake 3? Nope. Can't pull the punches he can.
But with Ultima 9 he can't even touch me.
(Systems are nearly identical otherwise. Same MB, he's at 900 I'm at 850, both T-Birds, same RAM, OS, etc.)
These experiences are repeated over and over.
So, some games just prefer they way things were. But something like Serious Sam? Now there I can get some pretty smooth rates as well. I love it.

The thing with the Kyro is that its use of bandwidth is nearly, if not, 100% efficient. You hear all these numbers thrown around about how wonderful the geforce chips are, what they can crunch. But what good are those numbers if you're starving them to death?? The technology can't keep up, memory speaking. Even DDR is struggling. Rambus shows ALOT of promise and I think it's only a short while before it's adapted to video cards. Or chips to the RRAM rather. But even then the latency can be horrid.

And what about the features? It's kind of unfair to bring those up simply because the GeForce 3, even compared to its predacesor the GeForce 2, is feature rich. And, might I add, is one of the only GPUs designed for use to take advantage of DX 8. Unquestionably, Geforce 3 is KING of the hill. There's no disputing that.

But I don't have $400 to spend on a video card.

There's only so much that can be done with memory and transistor technology. Limits are being reached and tricks are being played to get more performance, like Hyper Z-technology. But that won't last forever. Time to think smarter, not harder. I believe that, for the moment unless a newer design is thought up, the Kyro method of rendering is the next step in 3D rendering. Brute strength can't cut it anymore. To say that the Kyro is referbed crap is the same as saying a TNT2 is referbed crap. Both are tweaks come from older set technology. But it wasn't herald as such. (And YES the Kyro 1 did outperform the TNT. Its introduction came too late, however. Even the Kyro 2 can be considered late.)

For the time being, GeForce 3 reigns supreme.
And my Kyro 2 does everything I ever expected and more. I feel my investment was well rewarded. I do patiently await the Kyro 3. Interesting times are ahead. Either way, competition is good. :)

And if it can't perform? I'll have graduated with my E.E. degree by then and WILL have the money for a more King of the Hill kind of card.

"Suit the action to the word and the word to the action."
"Suit the Prophet to the task and the task to the Prophet."

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!

G

This loyalist war is suck. Why can't gamers just enjoy playing game without killing each other?

Graphic card is only a tool, playing the game itself is the one that should be cherish!!!!

Damn!

To game or not to game

G

old junk was a statment about kryo taking old tech and adding something to it to make it feal new again. but still dont like gf3 and you cant realy say anything about unreal as you do reialise its more cpu fpu and memory band width dependant then it is video card dependant so that comparasin isnt accurit

G

To Game!

Hear Hear!

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!

lichocpu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Hey, ramone, Could you send me the optimizations you did to get good performance out of your KyroII?
Is you card a Hercules Card?
are you latin (or speak spanish?) (ramone?)
Thanx in advance

G

Sure I could send them to you. What's your e-mail addy? :)

Also, are you talking about D3D settings or OpenGl? There are some tricks in the BIOS as well, depends on your troubles. (And I certainly don't even know a fraction of them. It pays to keep up on the settings in yours sytem.)

As for Latin, nope. I'm from German desent. The name Ramonet is an old name for a wizard I use to role play in D&D. The hobby never stuck but the name did. :)

Write back soon!

BTW, my board is a Hercules 4500 model.

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!