LaCie Intros USB 3.0 RAID Storage Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Correct me if im wrong, because i'm still trying to understand the whole idea of the concept behind speeds of Hard drives..but if these harddrives have write speeds way less than that of the usb 3.0 controller, then isn't there a bottleneck somewhere in here, meaning that the USB controller isn't even using all of its potential? again, please correct me if i'm wrong.

The bottleneck is the hard drives, but you always want the controller to be faster than the hard drives, as hard drives are one of the slowest components in a PC. USB 3.0 gives us a lot of headroom when referring to a single drive. However, when you start putting drives in RAID 0, USB 3.0 only helps so much. Hopefully Intel's Light Peak technology becomes mainstream, and hopefully it scales up quickly.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]The_Prophecy[/nom]The bottleneck is the hard drives, but you always want the controller to be faster than the hard drives, as hard drives are one of the slowest components in a PC. USB 3.0 gives us a lot of headroom when referring to a single drive. However, when you start putting drives in RAID 0, USB 3.0 only helps so much. Hopefully Intel's Light Peak technology becomes mainstream, and hopefully it scales up quickly.[/citation]
thanks for that reply. just wanted to know if I was right on this or not, because im all too often thumbed down for stating facts like that lol. but what you say does make sense. I guess I was just figuring why have external when internal is just as fast, but I wasn't thinking of the fact of what an external harddrive is for. So I suppose this means that the external basically does become internal, but with external benefits, which I now see as a great product :D. Oh i catch on so quickly don't I? Sorry, 17 and learning.

crus_russ

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]thanks for that reply. just wanted to know if I was right on this or not, because im all too often thumbed down for stating facts like that lol. but what you say does make sense. I guess I was just figuring why have external when internal is just as fast, but I wasn't thinking of the fact of what an external harddrive is for. So I suppose this means that the external basically does become internal, but with external benefits, which I now see as a great product . Oh i catch on so quickly don't I? Sorry, 17 and learning.[/citation]

It is not so much that you would use this to replace an internal drive (external becomes internal), you would use this as you do for backup of large amounts of data. The problem with backing up data over USB 2 (which is convenient) is that it is SLOW. It maxes out at ~30 megs a second when hard drives can write at anywhere from 60-250megs a second (depending on your drive).

This device now lets you backup without the limitation of USB 2.0's slow speeds. With USB 2.0 it would take you all day and night to copy over 2-4TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.