LaCie Little Big Disk Uses Thunderbolt Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Nothing but a marketing gimmick.

The external connection would be TBolt, a connection that's currently a rarity. But what about the internal connection? Intel's 510 series use the SATA3 bus which means the TBolt connection will be bottled down to SATA3 speeds. You won't get any advantage from TBolt's extra bandwidth, and since TBolt is using an electrical connection currently, there are also no latency advantages from optical transmission.

All it really is is Lacie wanting to say they have a TBolt enabled product. This is still not a useful mainstream tech

papaswedine

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Actually SATA3 times 2... which equates to 12Gbps. Obviously they're not going to saturate that entire bandwidth, but the overall results are going to be better than anything else offered for external storage. The one thing that throws me off is why the he11 you would connect your monitor to your external HD..

BartG

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
uhm, unless you run SSD in the machine you connect this thing too its useless! The bottle next will be from the source or the destination unless both are equal with a fast enough connection...

Be0wulf22

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
[citation][nom]BartG[/nom]uhm, unless you run SSD in the machine you connect this thing too its useless! The bottle next will be from the source or the destination unless both are equal with a fast enough connection...[/citation]

What an odd statement. Useless unless both ends are equal? While I see what you are suggesting, this could be said for any hard drive technology of the past 30 years. "My PC hard drive is 7200rpm but my backup drive is 10,000 rpm...therefor my backup drive is useless."

Status
Not open for further replies.