LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ogdy

Distinguished
I would've thought the Porsche name would be on par with Porsche-level of performance. Nowhere near. At least it's cheaper...the only problem is it's a Seagate division...ouch, watch out for money grabbing and bad customer service & experience.

"This product doesn't improve performance over existing products, but we didn't observe a crippling reduction in performance, either....<snip>...For a long time we looked at the LaCie products as a niche for wealthy elites with more money than sense."

^^And I see no difference here either. But I do appreciate Tom's continuing to receive hardware from manufacturers to review and at least summarizing what we the reader deduced for ourselves already when reading the performance data.

On the plus side, this will be the only product with "Porsche" inscribed that I'll be able to afford any time soon.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
What the heck, an advertisement? Come on now. It is a portable hard drive in a nice case that works as it is supposed to. What more do you want?

Can you buy something cheaper? Yes. Can you buy something faster? Yes. Does it say that in the review? Yes.

"Nice advertisement disguised as an 'unbiased' review."

To me, that is worse than stabbing me right in the heart.

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
CRamseyer Sep 2, 2016, 8:57 PM
What the heck, an advertisement? Come on now. It is a portable hard drive in a nice case that works as it is supposed to. What more do you want?

Can you buy something cheaper? Yes. Can you buy something faster? Yes. Does it say that in the review? Yes.

"Nice advertisement disguised as an 'unbiased' review."

To me, that is worse than stabbing me right in the heart.

Totally agree with you Chris ...

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
For a "mobile" product, I believe their business can get more effective with a decent capacity TLC SSD drive where it will use less aluminum, weigh less and smaller for packaging and transport, drop protection, and avoiding the power adapter.

This adds more value as it becomes more useful and consumers are willing to pay as they are with Apple products.

Fisheyed

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Why all the whining? It's a freaking 4TB external that does not need to be plugged into the wall!!! It's performance is on par with other mobile externals. So what that they paid Porsche a royalty to use the name, everyone knows that name and so consumers will be more likely to remember this product. Lets also not forget the fact that this type of branding is a common practice for PC hardware vendors and it rarely reflects any real performance gains. Strictly performance speaking, this is a typical product, nothing special but that's not this drive's main selling point....IT'S A TRUE 4TB MOBILE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.