[SOLVED] LaCie RAID 1 (2 drive), one drive failure, now what?

Dec 19, 2018
I've been running a LaCie 2Big 3TB RAID 1 array for my primary storage for many years. It's well outside of warranty.

The other day, when booting up my late 2013 Apple iMac I got a "The drive you inserted is not recognized" message or something like that, with the option to close or initialize it. When I clicked initialize, this opened the Mac's Disk Utilities program which showed the RAID and one of the drives unreadable and I couldn't access the other one as the drive powers off. When I say powers off, what I mean is it drops out of the finder window/list of connected drives, but is still seen by Disk Utility.

What do I need to do to do to access my files on the non-failed drive, if one of them is still intact? Yesterday I installed a 4 disk RAID 10 array, running SoftRAID XT but I need to get back my 130k files that I had bothered to "protect" by storing them via RAID 1.

Mac Disk Utilities has a "Delete RAID" option which may break the two disks apart but don't know what would happen after doing so.
SoftRAID XT has a Convert volume option but I don't know what that will do either.
What are the chances I can remove the slices and insert each one at a time into a powered SATA dock and gain access that way?
Anyone with experience in gaining access to a LaCie disk after RAID 1 failure?

Solution
Searching over my case history I see a 3TB LaCie 2big recovery job. This NAS uses Linux mdadm to manage the RAID1. Note partition 8 is the data partition. It also uses Linux Logical Volume Manager for the data volume.

Where this is a RAID1 your data is not sliced but rather mirrored so each drive has identical data.

This should be an easy recovery if you use a SATA dock to access the good drive. One option if you are a Linux user is to connect the drive to a Linux system. It should see the RAID1 and let you activate the LVM. Or you can try a search from your Mac with Testdisk from cgsecurity. Or you can try commercial data recovery tools like R-Studio or DMDE.

S Haran

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
Searching over my case history I see a 3TB LaCie 2big recovery job. This NAS uses Linux mdadm to manage the RAID1. Note partition 8 is the data partition. It also uses Linux Logical Volume Manager for the data volume.

Where this is a RAID1 your data is not sliced but rather mirrored so each drive has identical data.

This should be an easy recovery if you use a SATA dock to access the good drive. One option if you are a Linux user is to connect the drive to a Linux system. It should see the RAID1 and let you activate the LVM. Or you can try a search from your Mac with Testdisk from cgsecurity. Or you can try commercial data recovery tools like R-Studio or DMDE.

Solution
Dec 19, 2018

Thanks for the reply. Most of this is above my tech knowledge but it would be fantastic if all I need is an external SATA drive dock. Probably slow pulling over 100,000 huge raw image files across but that would be better than losing them.